MAC1200R v2 switch GCC 5.4 to 6.3 Kernel panic

When I am building my own image for my Mercury MAC1200R v2 (MT7628AN soc) using GCC 5.4 everything is working. I can flash the image just fine and it boots and runs (some errors still, different threads).

When I change from GCC 5.4 to 6.3 I get a kernel panic cause of missing init options. I didn't change anything else via make menuconfig.

Kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.

Google reveals that this is usually a makefile "bug", but I fail to understand why the makefile would be different when changing compilers, so I am not sure where to start looking for the "bug".

Not sure if I need/should change to 6.3 anyway, but from what I understand the later version should optimize the code better (faster/smaller memory print)

I'd err on the side of caution and just stick with 5.x until the official codebase switches. But that's just me. You're probably better versed in the inner workings of compilers etc. than me.

Fair enough. Sticking to GCC 5.4 for the time. The same for the Kernel 4.4 vs 4.9 I assume. Seems like there are a lot of other s still needs to get addressed. Like the MT76 driver in my case.

I've been eyeing 4.9 as well for my DIR-860L, it seems mt76xx support is not complete yet though. It's my production router so I'll wait it out, the 4.4 kernel we have is kept very much up to date so no rush :slight_smile: