M.2 E key type 2230 wireless card recommendation

I have a small factor PC (with M.2 E key type 2230 slot) that I am using to virtualize pfsense and I would like to add openwrt AP virtualization. I searched M.2 E key type 2230 wireless cards and there are many. I wonder if there are recommend AP wireless card to be used with openwrt. Thanks in advance.

That's...an interesting requirement.

I used a Killer 1535 for something like this before. I don't recommend. The driver and performance are awful.

I don't know that M.2 cards are meant to perform.

1 Like

Thank you @neheb. I love my current pfsense set up and I would like to take it one step further by adding wireless capability.

I have a Dell wireless 1803 or something (ath9k based). That will work just fine.

I run OpenWrt on an Intel NUC, but swapped out the Intel Wi-Fi module for an Atheros model from a decommissioned laptop that can do 5GHz AC. I get about 400-450 Mbps throughput with it.

# lspci -nnv
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [168c:003e] (rev 20)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3044]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 132
	Memory at 91000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci

Also -- neat idea to run pfSense and OpenWrt virtualized side by side.
I ran in to issues with PCI passthrough on the NUC, which led to the development of this.

Thank you @oofnik. I end up ordering an Atheros card. Due to COVID19, orders are taking full month to ship. I am waiting for the card to arrive then will do testing. Nice blog post.

Thanks!
Stay safe and keep us updated on your project.