Luci offline install

Now that I understand where to edit makes all more sense.

I worked with DOS and MS-DOS before that but missed the after so i didn't knew that.
vi and editing its quite easy to do and understand, but I didn't figured how i can see the full directories list so i could see the surround and how to run a command like reboot.

I did all of that but I still can not ping or do opkg update. It does show me openwrt wireless signal to whitch i login to be able to ssh, if i see the status of that wireless connection show me like should be, says connected to the internet and have uploads/downloads bytes happening.

I changed some things and I think its maybe where its the problem.
The connection its PEAP , none phase 2, unspecified certificate, with identity and password so i edited

config wifi-iface 'uplink'
	option device radio0
	option network wan
	option mode sta
	option ssid 'NETWORK ID'
option encryption 'wpa-mixed+aes'  
	option eap_type 'peap'
	option identity '12345678'
	option password 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx''

I also have try with option auth 'auth=MSCHAPV2' or option auth 'auth=PAP' and option encryption 'wpa-mixed'.

I have try in WAN and LAN. I think I have connection but not permission, that's why dont work. Any thoughts?

The default wpad-mini (or in some cases wpad-basic) package which drives the wifi does not support "Enterprise" authentication such as PEAP. You need to replace it with the full version wpad. This could potentially be done offline since unlike LuCI it is one file. I am not sure where to find that file on the server though.

You could temporarily go to a place that has open WiFi or a PSK network that you have access to.

To summarize what I and others have been suggesting:
Make sure router firewall ports are open.
Connect your PC to the enterprise network.
Activate Internet Connection Sharing to the Ethernet port.
Plug Ethernet port into the WAN port of the router.

If you have a second PC you can connect it to the LAN side and log in that way. This simplifies the process considerably other than requiring a second PC. In other words use one PC strictly as an Internet access converter.

1 Like

I have access to a wifi portal where I have to input username plus password that i have and another wifi portal where i have to answer simple questions before login. There its a way to do a GET and POST like Curl does and login that way?

I have had try the first portal in different ways but i dont know if i should put none or wep or wep+open in the encryption or if its identity+key or key+key1.

If you have a second PC you can connect it to the LAN side and log in that way.

I got my hands today on a second pc (notebook) running win10 with very poor wireless, one lan and usb entries. How its that done?

This is a different case. The hardware is an EA8300. Memory isn't a problem.

Connect the second PC to the LAN port and use it to ssh in. Connect your first PC with good WiFi to the enterprise network and share the connection to its Ethernet port, which you then connect to the WAN port of the router. So besides two PCs you also need two Ethernet cables.

The distributed build cannot connect to enterprise WiFi. It can connect to an open or PSK WiFi.

In a captive portal situation (where you connect to open WiFi then log in using a web page) you can connect the WAN of a router to that WiFi then open a web browser on a device on the LAN side and log in. This will register the router's MAC address with the network, so all devices using the router as well as the router itself have Internet access.

1 Like

Before I try, in etc/config/wireless its option encryption 'none' or option encryption 'open'?
In witch file its the mac address so I can edit it before begin?

You would edit the MAC under the wifi-iface section in /etc/config/wireless - by adding:

option macaddr 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
2 Likes

Also, for the wired Ethernet MACs, it would be in /etc/config/network

2 Likes

I made that but I found problems:
In the pc 2 I have no network, no portal to login.
Also I found out that radio0 its not working so i changed to and enabled

config wifi-iface 'uplink'
	option device radio1
       option network wan
	option mode sta
	option ssid 'NETWORK ID'
	option encryption 'none'

but that makes radio1 join radio0 in the gone radios signals.
So I still cant update and radio0 dont work by default. What can i do now?

PC 2 is logging in to the LAN side like you always have. Connect it by Ethernet to one of the router LAN ports and let it obtain a DHCP address then ssh to 192.168.1.1 I thought you said the wifi in PC 2 did not work well so you want to use wired.

Then you're going to use PC 1, the one that has good wifi and can connect to the enterprise network, to provide a wired WAN connection by using the Windows connection sharing and connecting its Ethernet port with another cable to the WAN port of the router. That is all that PC 1 will be doing here.

I did that.
My lan option ipaddr its 192.168.2.1 like you said to be so why ssh to 192.168.1.1?

Like hours ago i said , i did that.

You said before:

So why now you say to connect to Enterprise?

PEAP is considered "enterprise" auth

Yes i know, thats why im asking. If i can not connect to peap dont understand why he says to connect to peap

If asking for username and password, its likely either some form of 802.1X or a captive portal. If the former, you'll need to install, as I recall, wpad-full.

Yeah you made the resume of what i have plus peap, so after all i can not connect to portals even been open...
How i make a offline install of wpad-full?

Most parts already described above

• Connect your Windows machine to your OpenWrt LAN or wireless
  • Open port 22 (SSH) for TCP on WAN on your OpenWrt box
  • Disconnect your Windows machine from your OpenWrt box
  • Connect your Windows machine to your wireless Internet connection
  • Share your Internet connection over your Windows Ethernet
  • Connect a cable from your Windows Ethernet to your OpenWrt WAN port
  • Determine the address assigned to the OpenWrt box by your Windows machine
  • SSH into your OpenWrt box at that address
  • Use the command line to install packages, as needed
1 Like

That's all in 1 pc?
I made that many times too without be able to install.

There are options.

@jeff reviewed a method using one PC. Using a single PC is more complicated since you will need to open the router firewall and determine the IP address assigned by the PC. These steps are not necessary if you use the two PC method.

With two PCs you will dedicate one of them to logging in to the router on the LAN side (which doesn't vary based on how the router is connected to the Internet) and the other one to providing the Internet connection.

Yes was a review, we are in circles with same options that don't work with captive portal or peap, its wasting of time. To be able to work what both of you say, I have to use ea8300 snapshot with hostapd included.

One of the PCs will connect to peap. You will then temporarily configure Windows to share that connection out through the Ethernet port. In this mode, Windows acts as a simple router that lets one or more wired devices reach the Internet just by plugging in.

The router radios are not needed yet. The router will be in a completely wired configuration for the initial setup and installation.

After you get the packages installed then you can connect the router to wireless and use it independently of a PC.

You're not the only one who feels he's going in circles.

1 Like

In that sharing he does not convert meaning the pc receives as peap and shares as peap, all his clients receives his sharing as peap, he does not converts to wpa2 or other, he stays always as peap therefore thats not possible.

But if Linux does that conversion then feel free of sharing how.