LuCI APP: luci-app-sms-tool (SMS / USSD message handling)

Hi, I created next small LuCI app.

Luci-app-sms-tool is a mini gui for handling messages via sms_tool application/project https://eko.one.pl/?p=openwrt-sms_tool Works with mPCI-E and USB 3G/LTE modems. Don't work with HiLink/RNDIS modems. I'm making it available and maybe it'll come in handy.

Preview and quick configuration (modem Quectel EM12-G)

Enlarge the page to see the movie with better quality. (CTRL +)

luci-app-sms-tool_1.8.3_all.ipk
sms-tool_2020-08-10.ipk
or
https://github.com/4IceG/luci-app-sms-tool

Other useful packages for mobile internet:

12 Likes

That's a very useful feature! Thanks for your great work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Zuzia . No big deal, everyone would write such an application if they needed it :slight_smile: .

Nice, dude!

I used to text from my router to my phone in the old days...

At the time, I just used an email utility built into DD-WRT (sendmail I think it was) and my service providers SMTP server. I'd email phone#@tmomail.net and it'd show up on my phone as an MMS. Maybe you could build this into it? I think there may be a sendmail version supporting SSL/TLS (think Hotmail, GMail, etc...) but it's pretty bloated size wise. Just an idea.

Hello @IceG
I tried your LuCI app on my Turris Omnia 2020 but I'm struggling to make it work.

I've installed:
sms-tool_2020-08-10-1cd967c4-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16.ipk
and
luci-app-sms-tool_1.7_all.ipk

the GUI is displayed correctly but the send/receive SMS functionality doesn't seems to work...
Can you help me?

The SIM is installed into the mPCI-E slot of Turris with QUECTEL EC25-E Multi-mode LTE mPCI-E card, I use it as a failover for the main WAN (configured with mwan3).

Here some screens of the config:

Hi @Loky , what port, interface does this modem have? modem works on qmi?
Try changing the port for reading, communication with the modem.

The LTE interface port should be /dev/ttyUSB2, I followed this guide to install the LTE module.
a

I tried to use others ports and /dev/ttyUSB3 seems to work! I'm able to send SMS, but still I don't receive any message...

-edit- rebooting the LTE interface did the trick, now the SMS are read correctly.
Many thanks for your advice @IceG :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @IceG , how to compile those packages for mr3420v5 ? is it still supported in latest version of openwrt ?

1 Like

Hi @zackytravis, I didn't compile the package for latest SNAPSHOT but for kernel version 5.4.80 it works for me.

How to compile.. I will not explain the entire compilation process here, you have to look for a tutorial if you haven't done it before. The package compiles exactly like all the others.

hi @IceG can this auto forward messages to another number? if not can this be added? or can you point me in the right direction to do this? i was searching for a simple lightweight solution (don't mind to custom script it) to auto forward sms messages since my operator does not allow it. thanks.

Hi @mojifax
Unfortunately my package is as simple as possible GUI for messaging, so it doesn't have this functionality at the moment. If you are looking for a solution, take an interest in the smstools3 package, there you will be able to react appropriately to the received messages using scripts.

https://eko.one.pl/?p=openwrt-smstools3

thanks for your guidance, will look at smstools3. i did test your luci-app-sms-tool in a virtual environment and i really like your "as simple as possible approach" :wink:

1 Like