Low power Celeron vs Pi 4 performance expectations

I've been dabbling recently with stock OpenWRT and a couple of forks (SmoothWAN and OpenMPTCProuter) on a Pi 4. The primary focus is a mobile router with the ability to aggregate multiple cellular connections.

Of course due to the nature of the overall setup, it's been hard to nail down potential performance bottlenecks. These forks and associated tools to make this all work use various tunnels with some level of crypto involved. I know the Pi 4 doesn't support the HW crypto stuff. I've been looking into getting a dirt cheap netbook/Chromebook with a Celeron (seems most I'm coming across are equippred with an N2840 or similar) and comparing/seeing if I have any better time with it. I know these Celeron's don't have the AES-NI instruction set either, but I'm curious even without that what kind of performance differences I can expect between the two.

Well if you can wait another month you can already preorder the rpi5 on pimoroni and others see also Pi in the sky V

1 Like

RPi5 support for OpenWrt will not fall out of the sky though, add something between weeks and months on top of that for it to materialize (and the RPi foundation does not have a good track record when it comes to properly license their stuff for reusing, nor do they deserve any trust when it comes to availability to mere mortals or the actual pricing on the street).

2 Likes

Right. If I was intending to go for an SBC, I'd likely aim for something other than the Pi. Bare minimum, I'd expect other boards/SOCs somewhere to have HW crypto/AES support which would be desirable here. But availability and software/OS support in the short term puts the 5 out for me completely.

There's also the fact that I can find dirt cheap 'broken but boots' (don't really need a working display or keyboard for example if USB/HDMI works) Chromebooks/netbooks/miniPCs all day long for a fraction of any new SBC.