Lost DNS from terminal after upgrading to 19.07.08

Just upgraded from 19.07.04 to 19.07.08 and I lost dns from the ssh terminal.

if I nslookup google.ca it does not resolve. but if I add a dns server at the end its fine.

Internal lan is fine as dhcp dishes out a dns server to clients. I just cant opkg update and install anything.

My wan interface shows 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

/tmp/resolv.conf.auto

# Interface lan
nameserver 1.1.1.1
# Interface wan
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
# Interface wan6
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8844

/tmp/resolv.conf

search lan
nameserver 127.0.0.1

Any ideas, I'm blanking, I have never run into this after an upgrade. Probably something obvious but its not hitting me.

If I add 8.8.8.8 manually to /tmp/resolv.conf it works until next reboot. Which makes sense as /tmp gets wiped.
What feeds /tmp/resolv.conf?

Replying to myself. Seems to be something with dnsmasq but I am not sure what changed after this upgrade. I added 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 in /etc/init.d/dnsmask after 127.0.0.1 and it populates /tmp/resolv.conf but I dont get what changed after the upgrade. The wan dhcp lease provides those servers.

When I run /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart I see the following

root@OpenWrt:/etc/init.d# ./dnsmasq restart
udhcpc: started, v1.30.1
udhcpc: sending discover
udhcpc: no lease, failing

Solution

Replying to myself again....

Looks like dnsmasq crapped the bed on upgrade. Why I have no idea. Removed and reinstalled dnsmasq and now it appears to be working. No longer need to add dns servers in /etc/init.d/dnsmasq. It grabs the upstream servers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.