Lost access to MR3020

Years ago I did install a webcam Software using openwrt on my TP-LINK MR3020
The camera did work on 192.168.178.139:8080 via WLAN
Problem: can not connect anymore

I tried the following:
The MR3020 gets the IP address 192.168.178.21 using LAN connection on a Fritz.box
did try:
ssh root@192.168.178.21
Get: No route to host

Any idea get into the little box or reset?

Try failsafe mode.

Note that you must connect the router to your computer directly via ethernet and you must set your computer's IP address manually (for the ethernet connection).

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/failsafe_and_factory_reset

psherman: thanks a lot!  now I found:
ot@(none):/etc# cat openwrt_release 
DISTRIB_ID="OpenWrt"
DISTRIB_RELEASE="12.09"
DISTRIB_REVISION="r36088"
DISTRIB_CODENAME="attitude_adjustment"
DISTRIB_TARGET="ar71xx/generic"
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09"

root@(none):/etc# cat openwrt_version 

root@(none):/overlay/etc/config# cat wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path 'platform/ar933x_wmac'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option txpower '27'
        option country 'DE'
        option disabled '0'
        option channel '3'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option macaddr 'f8:d1:11:bd:67:2c'
        option hwmode '11ng'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        list ht_capab 'SHORT-GI-20'
        list ht_capab 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list ht_capab 'RX-STBC1'
        list ht_capab 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option channel '3'
        option txpower '27'
        option country 'US'

config wifi-iface
        option network 'wwan'
        option ssid 'FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390'
        **option encryption 'psk'**
        option device 'radio1'
        option mode 'sta'
        option key '081002......'
        option bssid '9C:C7:A6:9B:88:D6'

I think the change in encryption is the problem
My new router uses WPA + WPA2 encryption, how can I modify this ?

Since this is a single radio hardware there should be only one wifi-device defined. I'm not sure how radio1 works at all with no path to the hardware specified. And forcing a macaddr belongs in the wifi-iface section not wifi-device.

option bssid locks the STA to connect to only an AP having that BSSID (on-air MAC), so if you replace the AP with a new one having a different MAC, it will not connect. In a situation where there is only one AP or you don't care which AP (with matching SSID) the router connects to, you can remove the bssid line.

12.09 is ancient but I think it supports WPA2 with option encryption 'psk2' The setting of psk will still work if the AP is configured for WPA1 compatibility, but that is no longer considered secure.

1 Like

Glad you regained access. Follow what @mk24 said and you should be fine.

That said, 12.09 is well over a decade old and is entirely unsupported. It has many severe security vulnerabilities and really shouldn't be in service anymore.

You mentioned that you had a webcam software package installed -- if it's official OpenWrt with a few additional packages, you may be able to at least get up to 17.01 or 18.06, although even those are well beyond any support now too. Your hardware is extremely limited at only 4MB flash storage and 32MB RAM, so you should be looking at replacing it.

From a security standpoint -- if the camera feed that this runs is private in any way, you should consider immediate action to replace that device. Also, if this is connected to a trusted network (i.e. your normal lan), the same is true as this could become an attack vector for someone to gain access to your network. While I would not recommend running old versions in any situation, if it is on an isolated (i.e. IoT) network with no access to anything private, and the video feed is inconsequential in terms of privacy (i.e. a bird-feeder cam), it's not likely a major risk to your own personal privacy/security.

I was cleaning out some old wifi gear and came across The MR3020. I was curious what firmware was available and compiled from LibreCMC. It was still out of date but my firmware size was 3.6MiB.

It is back in the parts bin now.

Thanks a lot for the help to all, My webcam now is online again!

I had no idea Germany was so close to the U.S.A. :innocent:

Try fixing that, at least it won't be an issue.