Losing extroot after reboot

Hi, did you manage to resolve your issue? I'm facing the similar one on any recent OpenWRT version (last 2 years), 2 different routers and flash drives.

I have moved your question to a new thread because you bumped a 5 year old thread. Things have changed significantly in OpenWrt since then, and what was relevant then may or may not be true now.

Please describe your question/problem in detail and let's see the output of this:

ubus call system board

I use OpenWrt on Archer C50 and C7, both with Android tethering and extroot (following official manual) connected through the USB hub (so 2 external devices in total). Everything works like a charm til some reboot (GUI, SSH or just power outlet): next power up the extroot is not mounted (as well as all packages on that flash drive). I don't have the exact logs atm but they contains something like "Bad magic number". fsck doesn't help. I can successfully re-format and re-configure this flash drive again by the same official manual. This setup can survive 2,3, 10... reboots but eventually this situation just repeats. OpenWrt 22.03 is affected 100%, not sure about 23. Is this some known issue? Did I miss some obvious config parameter? Or am I just the "lucky one"?

ubus call system board for Archer C7:

"kernel": "5.15.137",
	"hostname": "312home",
	"system": "Qualcomm Atheros QCA956X ver 1 rev 0",
	"model": "TP-Link Archer C7 v5",
	"board_name": "tplink,archer-c7-v5",
	"rootfs_type": "squashfs",
	"release": {
		"distribution": "OpenWrt",
		"version": "23.05.2",
		"revision": "r23630-842932a63d",
		"target": "ath79/generic",
		"description": "OpenWrt 23.05.2 r23630-842932a63d"
	}

Share the output of this file, with and without usb flash drive connected.

/etc/config/fstab

Right now I don't have the failed flash drive to get some logs as I said earlier. Initially I just wanted to ask some guy with the similar problem (look for linked topic) did he manage to solve it but this is somehow turned into a separate thread. I guess this thread should be closed for now until I face off this bug again. Thank you all for attention and sorry for the inconvenience.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.