Looking for Turris Omnia alternatives

The Turris Omnia has a lot of features that are 5 minute setups or less. Like lte, msata, and nas. That said the platform is a couple of years old at this point. I'm wondering what newer comparable devices are out there even if I have to build them myself? Same price range or cheaper is fine.

Would you help us with your country (for availability, pricing), price range, and which features you find valuable?

I"m in the US. Amazon shows Turris Omnia around 340$ less than that is Ideal. The main things I'm looking for are I won't need to upgrade in only a couple of years and expandable as possible so I can add NAS or server functionality with low to moderate effort down the line. Straight up one to one features would be cool but understand if not possible.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32891699351.html or similar

1 Like

x86_64, dual- or quad-core, AES-NI, with at least two NICs, Intel preferred over Realtek, managed switch, one or more APs (either sold as such, or decent all-in-one units bridged)

I have one. I kind of wish they kept the eSATA port of the Linksys WRT series. It even supports port multiplying. And of course no USB3 with its 2.4ghz interference.

The Turris people released their MOX. Could be a replacement. :man_shrugging:

I am a big fan of pcengines.ch APU2 line.
Last not least because of reliability.

I think the question should be why you think you need to switch in the first place. The Turris Omnia is still a very capable device and the platform (SoC) is still actively supported upstream.

Does OpenWRT support apu4 boards? I only see some apu2 and apu3 explicitly mentioned in the hardware list.

1 Like

Sorry, I only used APU2. But for APU4 in "worst case" you might use regular ubuntu.

They're BIOS-enabled x86_64 so the additional Intel NIC on the APU4Cx should just appear. I have several APU2C4 and APU3C4 running FreeBSD and Debian, both on dual-SSD ZFS, without issue. I would recommend them specifically, but I feel that their SoC is not as powerful as other x86_64 units that are coming to market.

With gigabit symmetric speeds available at around $70/mo, mid-range x86_64 and high-end mvebu I think are going to have a hard time keeping up and meeting the OP's requirement of "I won't need to upgrade in only a couple of year"

1 Like

https://up-board.org/wp-content/uploads/up-xtreme/Datasheet-UP-xtreme.pdf Done? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@diizzy I don't currently have an Omnia. I'm looking to replace my ISPs wifi/router. I already have a DOCSIS modem I'm going to switch to. So I'm looking for something that has a great featureset.

I am in the same boat: although my R7800 is good for a 50/10 connection, >1Gbps speeds are already available here and it will not be too long until the limit is increased further. I would want a router that can manage those speeds and also have a good AC wifi all in one to minimize the number of boxes to manage. Even though very few people actually need these kinds of speeds, it is very nice to have :slight_smile:

I doubt you'll see that in an all-in-one box at any time in the near future if you want anything more than "plain" NAT (which gets offloaded to hardware in most high-end consumer all-in-ones). Gigabit symmetric was, not very long ago, purely the domain of larger enterprises. I don't think that consumers who think they can buy a wireless all-in-one for $40 new, or "high-end, gaming" unit for $150 are going to accept that they need a $300-500 router that is potentially more powerful than their laptop.

(Not to mention that more than 1 Gbps requires three or four GigE interfaces, not just switch ports.)

How do I judge x86_64 hardware to tell what speeds they are capable of?

The MINISYS has AES-NI , but UP Xtreme doesn't and the site doesn't seem to have any pricing for it. If I decided UP Xtreme that only solves the base hardware I would still have to pick out WIFI cards if I'm understanding correctly.

Unless I'm missing something the Turris Mox seems underwhelming gaining modularity with a faster processor but less RAM than even the low end Omnia and it would be awhile until i could get my hands on it since I'm not a backer.

For VPN speed, within a given architecture, the speed will be primarily governed by single-thread performance, as most encryption in VPNs is single threaded.

For wireless, I would go with external APs, either something that is specifically an AP, or a recent, moderately priced all-in-one configured as a "dumb AP" (no processing power needed, just good wireless). Most PCIe cards only support a single band at a time, and many don't support AP modes.

Pretty much any x86 you're likely to buy will route and shape 1Gbps. If it has AES-NI it may be much faster at VPN and/or https as a squid proxy. I personally have switched to wireguard and find it far superior to OpenVPN, and I'd never go back.

Oh. I misunderstood then.

The Turris Omnia is still a great device. Quite future-proof as well with the minipcie ports and SFP cage. Marvell developers are still optimizing the ethernet driver for better performance.

it would have been awesome had they made the effort of making it a 1st class openwrt citizen.
how is clearfog doing btw?