Looking for dir-505 like device, but faster hardware

hi,
I am looking for a dir-505 like device.
but with: faster CPU , USB Port , gigabit ethernet

ToH does not help to find a device like dir-505 ( plugs directly into wall power outlet )

Maybe the Tagged view till help.

The concept of "travel router" has all but died out, I guess because it's not as unusual to find a wifi hotspot in your hotel as it was like ten years ago and the market just isn't there anymore.

I suppose the best bet nowadays would be wifi/range extenders. With OpenWrt, those can and do function exactly the same as the DIR-505, but unlike travel routers they have been updated with somewhat contemporary hardware, and most of them are designed to plug into a wall outlet. I am not aware of any that have a USB port, though.

2 Likes

none of these have USB or sdcard (to expand storage)

Right. So there may actually be nothing that exactly fits your bill. Blame the market.

Edit: You may consider something that does not plug into a wall outlet, but at least runs on somewhat-universal USB power supply. I hear GL.iNet makes some nifty small devices (no personal experience with those, though). If you're traveling you are probably taking a USB power supply along anyway, make it a non-crappy one and you should be good to power a travel router alongside whatever else you're charging.

I'1m using DIR-505 too for a personal project, but looking for a substitute too.
I saw GL.iNet too in the last days. They came with OpenWRT from factory.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5100113
And they have USB too.

tplink re200 and re450.

there were some AVM Fritz devices in that category as well (dont know the numbers).

The Re200 works well, but only has fast ethernet, and lacks an USB port as sold.