Looking for cheap adsl annex-j + vdsl wifi router

hey,
sadly my current router tp-link wdr3600 does not has a modem build in, so im looking for a router with annex j + vdsl modem and good lede support, as the wdr3600 has.

im really happy with this router and the new one can be similar to this one, when it comes to wlan specs etc..

If your router still has enough oomph for you, why not get a nice modem instead?

I use the Draytek Vigor 130 and am quite satisfied with it.

On german site it says that annex-j is supported (and of course ADSL2/VDSL2 including vectoring).

Cost might be a problem though... it costs about 100€ here in germany..

Stormy667

1 Like

there does not seem to exist such a device :frowning:

as said; most ppl use a well supported (ath9, mediatek, x86) router and a (second) modem-like device in bridge-mode for the dsl part.

there is some motion towords a sfp-formfactor vdsl2 device which can be plugged in "high-end" routers with such a slot (clearfog, turris-omnia).

but this wont be cheap

oh i didnt know about the modem/router split, but it makes absolutly sense.
its hard to find external modems nowdays, thats why i looked for a device which has both.
the draytek vigor 130 is really expensive. is there maybe a cheaper alternative to this modem?

Well, if you are located in Germany the speedport entry 2 might be an option https://www.google.de/shopping/product/8871230978123318249/specs?client=safari&rls=en&q=speedport+entry+2&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ_8-l7NjTAhXPI1AKHTDfDvkQuC8IkwE it is based on a broadcom chipset that works relatively well with DTAG's vectoring implementation (also broadcom) and can be configured into modem duty (it supposedly has less diagnostics than the vigor 130, but it also is a bit cheaper) One caveat is that it only has 100Mbps fast ethernet ports so it will max out at around 94Mbps download goodput even if say a VDSL2 link would allow more...

Best Regards

look here: https://lede-project.org/toh/views/toh_modem_supported
My recommendation is a Lantiq XWAY VRX288 devices
same chipset like Vigor-130 or FritzBox-7490.

If you located in Germany you have luck, because it exist several very cheap OEM router:
My favorite are: Arcadyan/Astoria VGV7510KW22 (aka O2-Box 6431)
These is a very cool Router because it include only basic Hardware and will 100% supported by LEDE.
disadvantage is the the missed extra chipset for the switch.
If the Router have load (i have here several OpenVPNs and a asterisk Server) then breaks the data to 70Mb/s (modem<->ethernet).

My O2-Box is running very stable since a 3/4 year.

Faster Alternatives are Easybox 904xDSL or Speedport W921V (same chipset but more Hardware)
But they are under development and i think they will never supported up to 100%.
Modem and Telefon should working now, but no idea how stable and more Hardware = more power consuption.

And of course you can configure a LEDE modemrouter to a stupid ethernet-xdsl-bridge

i stand corrected

Cool,somebody noticed this page right after I created it :slight_smile:
I now added the Availability column, in order to show if you can buy a device or if its discontinued.

You will notice that several ones are marked as unknown 2017,which means that nobody has checked that lately. If you do know about the availability of these devices, you can edit the data accordingly by clicking on "View/Edit data" in the above linked page.

Then edit the dataentry page by clicking on the Edit button on the LEFT lower edge of the dataentry.

Having the Availability column in shape can be really helpful for users who want to buy a new device.Therefore the communitys help and input is very much appreciated.

When you update the dataentry, please write in the Edit summary where one can buy the device in question.

I succeeded with and can recommend a used (cheap) Fritz!Box 3370 as Annex-J or VDSL modem (here: Annex-J, as I don't need higher speeds). Use this myself in conjunction with TP-WDR3600, this replaced a Speedport W724V, and with SQM I now have about 10% more speed on my DSL line and bufferbloat index "A" (completely undisturbed telephony even on fully saturated upstream and downstream). Configuration caused some headache, until I found the solution: simply reset the Fritz!Box and don't configure anything, no VLAN tagging on WDR3600 WAN port. At least with Annex-J this works perfectly.

Have success :slight_smile:

Cool,somebody noticed this page right after I created it :slight_smile:
I now added the Availability column, in order to show if you can buy a device or if its discontinued

Not sure what the convention is for edits. But I have the Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H and the ADSL2 modem works fine with LEDE 17.01* if you want to add it to that table.

In theory the TD-W8970 will also be xDSL (the VDSL functionality is turned off in the stock firmware but can be enabled using OpenWRT so LEDE should work also).

What is the name of the firmware image for this device?

It uses the Lantiq XWAY WBMR* series. The WBMRA is for Annex A.

I updated the dataentry https://lede-project.org/toh/hwdata/buffalo/buffalo_wbmr-hp-g300h accordingly.
This device now shows up in https://lede-project.org/toh/views/toh_modem_supported

@tmomas
what is the exaxt meaning of available or unavailable ?

The O2-Box 6431 router is a German Provider OEM Router and was never in the free trading (i thing soo).
No idea if this device will produce now, but i think no.
But it have a huge range secondhand.
The reason is that the original firmware are the biggest crap ever and the most people do not know that the router have full LEDE support

Available 2017 = You can buy it today.
Discontinued = Device doesn't get produced any more, you can not buy it.
Unknown 2017 = Nobody knows, nobody has checked availability yet.

Devices which are only available via ISPs are a special case. They might be available via ISPs, but then again you are not free to buy them out there in the market.

The whole sense behind available/discontinued: In order to answer the question "I want to buy a LEDE supported device. Which one should I buy?" we need to know the availability.

See e.g. https://lede-project.org/toh/views/toh_available_864