Looking for a Wireless Router - 64 bit ArmV8 based, No Broadcom

Check out Banana Pi BPI-R64, if you need ac wifi you can add mt7615

3 Likes

Raspberry Pi 4 Compute Module with the official IO board. The IO board now has a PCI x1 expansion slot. Get any multigigabit (up to 5 Gbps) PCIe x1 Ethernet adapter and go to town. The Compute Module and the IO board are about to hit the distribution channels. There are no cases yet, though, or I havenā€™t found any.

..or just the RockPro64 which features much better hardware? :slight_smile:

How is RockPro64 hardware much better?

Faster PCIe interface, hardware encryption, better hardware SoC design and so on.

The CPU is not better. Itā€™s a dual-core A72 plus quad-core A53, vs quad-core A72 in the Raspberry Compute Module 4. For being a router/ firewall, I donā€™t see how itā€™s better.

Hardware VPN acceleration: link please

Faster PCIe: PCIe x4 in RockPro64 is definitely faster vs RPi Compute Module 4 PCIe x1. So, that may make a difference if you want to use 10 Gbps. For 5Gbps, thereā€™s little to no difference between one lane and 4 lanes of PCIe. However, with only dual-core A72 on the RockPro64, it may not be able to handle more than 5Gbps anyway. Iā€™m
not sure how the OpenWRT software would spread the CPU load across two A72 and four A53 CPUs. and Iā€™m not sure that the packet forwarding performance of the mixed-type six-core CPU package is better than the quad-core A72 performance in the Raspberry Pi CM4.

Price for the 4GB version: same ($80)

Graphics: irrelevant to this application.

a) it's fairly easy to run openwrt on the turris omnia. you just have to be comfortable building yourself.
b) turris-os is openwrt. sure it's a custom spin with modifications but unless you need some VERY specific openwrt feature the differences are minor.
c) as you've shown in other threads on this forum, the omnia was never meant to be what you want it to be. it's primarily a secure home/soho router on steroids, without the need to tinker with luci (too complex for the intended target market) or the console. anyone fluent in openwrt stuff is free to tinker the hell out of it, but obviously should know how to help themselves. then again, if you know this much, there is better hardware out there (espressobin, macciatobin, clearfog cn9, ...).

at least here, it's been running 24/7 & self updating without user intervention since 2016. it does synchronous 1Gbit routing (well 980Mbits ;-)), does openvpn, multiple vlans and by now i run more than 10 lxc containers on it. also, it attaches directly to ftth & using two mpcie sata-controllers it runs a 8x hdd raid, in addition to 1tb ssd storage. however i have no clue how well it works with wifi, as i use it with ubiquiti-access points... personally i run a full blown epyc centos server next to it, but as this is a home setup it's uptime is not nearly 100% (real life!), exactly why the omnia is my router/gateway.

personally the next level above the omnia (for routing/firewall/...) are the boards mentioned above and one level higher are the industrial grade x86/arm-server hardware running a full linux distro. that however entails hands-on-management... plus all the proprietary stuff from ubiquiti & co

2 Likes