Logs and PPPoE troubleshooting

Hi people, I am actually having issues with my PPPoE connection in openwrt 18.06, reading logs with logread or luci gives me very brief info, which are the best practices to see logs? I found very few info in /var/log

Related to the issue, I see my PPPoE interface connected even with a public ip, but I don't have even ping to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, restarting the router solves the problem, but the lack of info in logs makes me it hard to found the problem.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Can you post here the output of uci show network && uci show system for a start?
Also if there is anything in log about ppp logread | grep ppp

2 Likes

Logread gives me nothing:

root@OpenWrt:~# logread | grep ppp
root@OpenWrt:~#

It must be because I use unbound for dns-over-tls queries and it fills the "buffer" of logs of logread with messages like that:

Sat Jun 1 11:59:36 2019 daemon.err unbound: [15632:0] error: outgoing tcp: connect: Permission denied for 2606:4700:4700::1111 port 853

How could I get rid of unbound messages without turning it off? I didn't found this on unbound config

Try editing /etc/ppp/options and remove the comment hash from the line reading #debug that will increase ppp's chattiness in the logs a lot.

2 Likes

Done, I will keep us posted as soon as the issue repeats because the another problem is that I am unable to reproduce it yet :confused:

Apart from that, any ideas of how to get rid of the bunch of logs of unbound? logread buffer is limited and it fills it up very quickly

Here is what i put into /etc/rc.local to remedy this:

# increase the log size
uci set system.@system[0].log_size=200; uci commit

Maybe this would solve your issue as well?

I had have these strange problems too but they are gone, unfortunly my configurations is so complex that i do not what i have change and to the same time my provider have problems with pppoe
One change that i have do was i use other MAC adresses as before from any random to '02:BE:F5:15:67:XX' but i have no idea if this was the reason.
I use OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r9945+40-bc85640cdc for my Easybox 904xDSL

An other problem is SQM: SQM reboot my Router (Easybox 904xDSL)

An other strange thing is
/etc/init.d/dsl_control status
show me Annex A and my dsl config are:

config dsl 'dsl'
        option annex 'b'
        option tone 'av'
        option xfer_mode 'ptm'
        option line_mode 'vdsl'

I remember that as i have these problems that i use: option tone 'auto'