Locked out of EAP 225

Back in May I was fiddling around with trying to get an EAP225v3 WAP working which was partly successful. Then I was pulled away by other life matters and have not had time to devote to it since then.

Finally I get this thing out of the drawer and I'm a bit stuck. I can't seem to get back into it. Also, unhelpfully, I can't recall what I was doing before putting it away. I do vaguely recollect being in the middle of something though. Possibly attempting to follow instructions from this page on WAPs (which looks to have been updated in the meanwhile).

• I can see it via the router's GUI
  • attempted to ssh to ip indicated (assigned by router) but cannot get past password prompt. uncharacteristically I seem to have no notes about what it might be. the password manager is vacant.
  • I was advised to install 21.02.0-rc1 andI have the upgrade file downloaded but I do not think it actually got done. I believe I was still running 19.x squashfs-factory

Something to know about me is that I'm a novice, and I've likely forgotten a bunch of what I learned in the interim. I do have notes but they are pretty messy as I hadn't yet consolidated my understanding.

Found this page, Failsafe Mode, Factory Reset, and Recovery Mode, and I am not sure which if any of these to do because I recall reading that this device will become bricked if improperly reset.

Sooo I'm going to keep looking in case I have an ssh key or a scrap of paper or a text file with login credentials (it's been years since I misplaced a password and I'm really not sure how it happened), but I'm not terribly hopeful about that; what would I be wanting to do if none are found?

There are debricking instructions in the git commit.

1 Like

Serial port access for debricking requires fine soldering.

thaaaat's what I was thinking of.

You should also be able to use the reset button (which is just another GPIO, not a hardware reset) to enter the failsafe mode. If you have access to the device, the usual LED sequence indicates when the firmware is waiting to be interrupted. Although I think if you hold the button down from the moment it boots, you will also enter failsafe mode :slight_smile:

1 Like

Old thread but I still didn't resolve this issue; I have been procrastinating it. I finally went through every ssh key and password I could find to no avail so I guess I will have to do the non-recommended procedures if I want to get any use out of this thing.

If you have access to the device, the usual LED sequence indicates when the firmware is waiting to be interrupted.

Are you talking about like described here? [OpenWrt Wiki] Failsafe Mode, Factory Reset, and Recovery Mode If so, how do I find out what is the right blinking series for this particular model?

Although I think if you hold the button down from the moment it boots, you will also enter failsafe mode

Like for a moment or for a long time?