Local domain DNS issue

I have just purchased a TP-LINK Archer C7 v5 and installed OpenWrt 18.06.2 on it. I have managed to set up my port forwarding and other easy bits and bobs without an issue. However I'm having a real mare with my local domain controller which also runs DNS pointing to Google.

Since installing OpenWrt I can't ping my local domain - home.domain.co.uk also my Windows 7 clients will not resolve my domain controller hostname and other servers. What the OpernWrt is trying to do is forwarding this request to WAN for some apparent reason.

C:\Users\artur>ping dcservername

Pinging dcservername.home.domain.co.uk [XX.XXX.XXX.XX] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for XX.XXX.XXX.XX:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

On my previous router running DD WRT I configured something to make it work but for the life of me I can't seem to remember what that was.

I'm really not clued up on the networking side of things as much as I would like to be so hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. Thank you in advance.

@arthurd123, welcome to the community!

You can do three things:

Please understand:

If you hand out Windows DNS servers, then OpenWrt knows the registered hostname; but Windows will receive it via DC updates/login/etc. I don't assume this matters greatly, since you seem to prefer use of the Domain Controller.

Not networking so much as it's: DHCP, DNS and and Windows AD.

1 Like

@lleachii

Thank you for your prompt reply I really appreciate your input and I will try the first two options and let you know how it went..

I have only built a DC at home as I was learning SCCM and I needed a running DC in the lab environment, however I got sucked into making sure everything was correctly configured on the network side.

@lleachii

I went with option:

I have one more question for you, what will happen if my DC goes offline? Will the clients loose Internet access? If that is the case is it better to go with the first option just in case?

The same thing that happens when any DC goes offline.

The same thing happens - that occurs to any network with offline DCs.

The first option still requires your DC to be online and the only DNS server(s) listed - so I don't quite understand what you believe option 1 would solve.

1 Like

@lleachii

Thanks again for the info it really helps and apologies for the lack of knowledge here. I suppose I want redundancy and if for any reason the DC pukes folks in the house can still browse the internet etc.

@lleachii

On my old D-Link router I had DD WRT installed on and had a DNSMasq configured in the following way:

DNSMasq - Enabled
Local DNS - Disabled
No DNS Rebind - Disabled

Additional DNSMasq Options - server.domain.co.uk/192.168.1.200

Can I not replicate these settings here on OpenWrt?

Screenshot%20from%202019-05-28%2013-32-46

• I can't recall what "Local DNS disabled" means in DD-WRT (unless that refers to not enrolling local hostnames)
1 Like

@lleachii

I have not thanked you yet for all the help you have provided for me yesterday I went with the DNS forwarding instead not sure if this is the correct way but at least if the DC pukes the rest pf the family will still be able to browse the internet if I'm not around to fix it.

So a MASSIVE Thank You!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.