Lm-sensors (LinkSys EA8300): How to determine which temperature is what actually?

Hello community,

I've been trying to monitor my OpenWrt devices with zabbix, which works great so far.
While trying to montior the temperatures on my OpenWrt devices I had a hard time figuring out which temperature represents what actually.
Running sensors -u on a LinkSys EA8300 gives me the following output:

root@OpenWrt:~# sensors -u
ath10k_hwmon-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
temp1:
  temp1_input: 62.000

ath10k_hwmon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:
  temp1_input: 47.000

ath10k_hwmon-isa-0000
temp1:
  temp1_input: 58.000

root@OpenWrt:~# 

Sure, I can read the temps, but what are they representing?

I hope somebody knows - thanks! :slight_smile:

You mean the numbers???

no :slight_smile:

I can see that ath10k_hwmon-isa-0000 has 62 degress. Is that the CPU temp, the DDR temp, the WIFI temp or ..?
Same for the other values - I can read it, but I cannot properly understand it.

:confused:

Ummmmm the ISA...so...basically, yes:

Hope this helps.

Well, partially .. I guess.
What's the difference between the following two?

ath10k_hwmon-isa-0000
temp1:
ath10k_hwmon-isa-0000
temp1:

I kinda just want to give the temperature "human" readable names. ath10k_hwmon-isa temp1 is not as descriptive as CPU temperature.
I have no idea if SoCs leave the room for such a distinction - thats why I asked here :slight_smile:

I'd surmise:

Rename them. Computers are not human.

They do what you program them to do. If you want to use name names, that's your preference.

I'd surmise:

I don't get it.

They do what you program them to do. If you want to use name names, that's your preference.

Rename them. Computers are not human.

That's not the point at all.
Let's assume we have a temperature near the CPU which is meant to represent the CPU temperature, but I name it Ethernet. Sure, I can name it like that, but if I start looking for problems (due to high temps) I will start digging near the ethernet ports due the (wrongfully) named "Ethernet Temperature Sensor", not where I should: near the CPU.

I want to know what they represent physically - I guess LinkSys won't place randomly some temperature sensors just to have some temperature sensors on board, without any real use whatsoever.

Within the wrt3200acm you can clearly distinct between the temperature sensors:

root@OpenWrt.home:~$ sensors -u
tmp421-i2c-0-4c
Adapter: mv64xxx_i2c adapter
DDR:
  temp1_input: 47.188
WIFI:
  temp2_input: 48.313
  temp2_fault: 0.000

armada_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
CPU:
  temp1_input: 77.022

root@OpenWrt.home:~$ 

Yes, the names CPU, WIFI and DDR were set manually from me via /etc/sensors3.conf:

chip "tmp421-*"
        label temp1 "DDR"
        label temp2 "WIFI"
chip "armada_thermal-virtual-*"
        label temp1 "CPU"

Digging through the internet however, one can find several references, that the sensors in the wrt3200acm are intended to represent the set labels.

I simply want to have the same proper representation for my LinkSys EA8300 - if possible.
Thanks.

I'm not sure which one is 2.4 and 5.4 ISA if that's what you mean (you keep using 'CPU' for some reason despite the readout saying ISA). I wasn't aware you can add human-readable labels in the manner you're describing. I can only guess that 5.4 is hotter.

Can you provide some of your references?

They may provide more clarity, as I can only refer to the readout you provided.

Sorry for the (very) late response. I have to admit, all references I found, where not from LinkSys themselves, but from other people using Open/DD-Wrt - so I guess they don't weight anything and we cannot determine whether they are actually intended to be named like that.

My simple approach was: LinkSys won't - most likely - randomly place sensors in their devices. However, it is not really important anymore. I simply use the names provided within Zabbix.
If somebody - at some point - might be able to figure out, what temperatures the sensors are representing, please leave me a message.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Do you see that "ath10k" prefix? Well I'm pretty sure it's related to the atheros wifi chip(s) inside your router. So those are the temperatures of the radio0 radio1 and radio2 wireless stuff. To confirm that go to the wireless page in luci and disable all the wireless networks that you have. At that point, if you execute "sensors" you should get that the temperatures are not readable or something.
At least that is what happens with my linksys mr8300 (which is very similar to the EA8300).
And btw, I'd also be very interested to know if there are any hwmon-compatible chips that read the soc temperatures inside the MR(EA)8300 (like we had in the old and glorious wrtXXXX series).