Linux commands for LEDE

Dumb newby question, I'm sure. Is there a guide for terminal commands specific to LEDE? There are so many Linux builds, I don't know which book to start with.

Thanks,
wbeine

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/start

1 Like

Not dumb...I guess, this response is two-part.

• Are you looking to run any particular commands?
  • I usually use the online man page at linux.die.net/man

also: https://lede-project.org/docs/start

2 Likes

A slightly different answer to your question... You'll generally find instructions for configuring or modifying your router:

• using the "LuCI web GUI" in your browser, or
  • typing commands into a "terminal session".

The SSH Access for Newcomers tells how to establish an SSH connection to your LEDE router to create a "terminal session".

Once you've set up that terminal session (also called a command line or command line window) you type the commands as instructed.

yes, LEDE website is there with document too. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thank you lleachii. I'll check this out. The start docs have their shortcomings, which is understandable as LEDE is not a consumer product.

Thank you Richb. I'm pretty far down that road. But I do appreciate you taking the time to respond. As I mentioned to lleachii, I know LEDE is not a consumer product, so I'm impressed with the newby support that's already out there. But I wish there was more online, or a book to buy, that helps me dig further down this path. Thanks again.

The core commands (ls, ps, free, etc.) are implemented in Busybox (busybox.net). The particular Busyox build does not include everything described there. Busybox versions of the commands tend to have fewer options than the full versions described at die.net. But you can install coreutils if you need full versions and have the flash space.

SInce LEDE (and Linux) is heavily involved with networking, commands like iw, ip, brctl, and iptables are important to inspect the underlying operation. The UCI system is usually used to set up configuration rather than directly manipulating the interfaces though.

There are LEDE specific commands like opkg, iwinfo, sysupgrade, uci, and wifi.

logread and dmesg are the back-end of the LUCI Status->System Log and "Kernel Log" respectively.

A beginner command line user should install a user friendly editor like nano instead of trying to learn vi.

3 Likes

Thank you mk24. very helpful!