Linksys wrt32x - David's build

Hello,

I am new to OpenWRT and I am about to flash my Linksys WRT32x but can anyone please tell me what the difference is, if any, between David's build and the build that is available on OpenWRT's website for this router?

I downloaded both of them but there is a difference in the size of the files. David's build is about 22MB while then image from OpenWRT is about 7.1MB.

Which one should I flash and what is the difference?
Which one is more stable?
And do both of them have extra packages that can be installed later on?

Thanks

Best asked on Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds (after reading the lead posts, which should describe the build)

As to the general questions, some people find custom builds convenient, some use them for “improvement” of some aspect (real or imagined), some abhor anything but their own builds from source, and everything in between. It’s a personal decision.

I checked there first but all what i was able to find was that it has more applications so i thought i'd check here to see if someone knows. Also checked on https://dc502wrt.org/ and it said the same thing

This is a core challenge of community builds, you’ve got to base your decision on trust of the builder and the information they provide. Now, with over 2000 posts to read, you can see how issues and questions have been addressed and make an informed decision.

By comparison, if I were to post a build, would you trust me? A lot harder question to answer, and I won’t be a bit offended if you say, “No way!”

1 Like

I agree with you 100%
But when I asked my question in the post i was just trying to get a very high level answer on the difference between the two builds. For example, one supports OpenVPN and the other does not. Or both build are the same and David's build has more packages built into it or vice versa

OpenWrt supports OpenVPN and hundreds of other major packages. Many builds either add or strip packages from the minimal defaults for official builds. They are easy to add to a running system from an official build. Custom builds may or may not have package repos that are current and/or complete.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.