Linksys wrt3200acm upgrade failing to start

I've been running a snapshot build (r10952) on my wrt3200acm that I built using image builder, and have tried a couple times over the past few months to upgrade. (I've been very pleased with the dual-boot layout for recovery purposes!)

Upgrading through luci, and preserving the existing configuration. I have also tried this via CLI over SSH, and it seems to be successful, but on reboot, the router doesn't appear to completely start up (it looks like it does get a connection to the Internet, but the wifi indicators never light up, and I can't get an address on the Ethernet ports).

Is there a way to look at the boot log on the alternate partition to see what's happening?

Do things work if you do not save config / setup?

I think you will need a serial connection, but you could try logread -f in a SSH window to see if you can catch anything.

1 Like

I have had this myself, Basically go into Wireless and click Disable then reboot and click Enable and they will work on the next reboot.

If you're already on the level of expertise where you're familiar with the image builder, I'd recommend packaging your customizations inside the uci-defaults script and including it with the image builder, rather than saving settings when upgrading.

Thanks for the suggestions - I haven't tried without preserving the config, though I do have a backup (I use a non-standard IP address range, so not keeping the config means messing about with secondary IP addresses to access after the reboot). I'll look at giving that a try this weekend, as well as the logread -f trick. It looks like sysupgrade saves the configuration and then terminates all of the shell sessions, so I don't know that I'll see anything from the reboot.

I was kinda hoping there was a way to mount the alternative firmware partition, but thinking a bit more about how the overlay filesystem is used, I'm not sure that would help.

I wasn't familiar with using uci-defaults - thanks for that suggestion. I'll take a look into that (I do import a letsencrypt certificate into the config, so I'll have to look into how to make that part of the build process as well - probably not terribly difficult to do. :slight_smile:

Thanks - I'll give that a try. Seems like that might be a quick workaround to get things up and running while I look at the other options presented here.

For the LE certs, since they expire in a few months, I just have a shell script which creates the cert on the new system once it's booted up.

Cool; yeah, I do something like that now because I use a wildcard cert that's put on a few different systems.