Linksys WRT3200ACM 5G Wifi configuration?

Hi all,

I've installed OpenWrt 18.06.1, r7258-5eb055306f on a Linksys WRT3200ACM. Setting up the 2,4GHu Wifi using the radio1 controller (listed as "Marvell 88W8964 802.11bgn") was no problem (I can connect to it and the according LED is on) but I was not able to do the same for the 5GHz Wifi controller(s).

1st question: As far as I understood I have to use one of the additional controllers:

• radio: Marvell 88W8964 802.11nac
  • radio2: Marvell 88W8887 802.11bgnac

Which one I should use?

2nd question: My first tries end up with "Wireless is not associated" problem so I tried to set " radio2" with

• Channel: 60 (5300 MHz)
  • Width: 80MHz
  • SSID: mywifi_5G

Unfortunately neither the 5 GHz LED is on nor can I see "mywifi_5G" in the list of available Wifis on my PC.

My current /etc/config/wireless:

# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11a'
	option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'
	option htmode 'VHT80'
	option country 'DE'
	option legacy_rates '1'
	option channel 'auto'
	option __toggle 'Disable'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
	option device 'radio0'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'mywifi'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option key 'mywifipassword'
	option disabled '1'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11g'
	option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
	option htmode 'HT20'
	option channel 'auto'
	option country 'DE'
	option legacy_rates '1'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
	option device 'radio1'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'mywifi'
	option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'

config wifi-device 'radio2'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11a'
	option path 'platform/soc/soc:internal-regs/f10d8000.sdhci/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/mmc0:0001:1'
	option htmode 'VHT80'
	option legacy_rates '1'
	option country 'DE'
	option channel '60'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio2'
	option device 'radio2'
	option mode 'ap'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option network 'lan'
	option ssid 'mywifi_5g'

config wifi-iface
	option device 'radio1'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'mywifiguests'
	option network 'guest'
	option key 'mywifiguestspassword'
	option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
	option disabled '1'

What did I forgot?

1 Like

The wifi driver in the release build is (by now) quite old and not very mature which is most likely what you're seeing.The one in master branch (trunk) is much more stable and reliable.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/issues-on-wrt3200acm/25038/2

1 Like

So I should just wait for a new stable release?

...or just run a snapshot, compile your own image or use a community build such as https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/ .

Respectively Pre-compiled updated mwlwifi drivers for stable releases options over options.

2 Likes

That solution will not contain network stack updates which may affect performance and stability however

1 Like

Let's answer your actual question...

In your config:

• Radio0 is the 5ghz radio (that you have disabled),
  • radio1 is the 2.4 GHz
  • radio2 is the crappy 88w8887 without antenna, and it should not be used. It is originally meant for radar detection or something, but not for actual use.
6 Likes

I think @hnyman may have answered my problem. I have no prior experience whatsoever with flash routers but now need such technology for a variety of reasons.

In short i have been reading, studying like crazy before installing on my WRT3200ACM today with help of a Linksys technican this build:

OpenWrt 18.06.4 r7808-ef686b7292 / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-19.170.32094-4d6d8bc)

I have immediate confusing issues:

1. Radio 2 giving me the same issues: either not associated and no signal when associated. I will delete Access Points for Radio and create them using Radio 0. I sincerely hope this handles my problem as I am now currently unable to reconnect a range of devices to wifi until I get this solved.

2. I created my first access point while the router was hardwired to my laptop and it appears to be now a part of my default lan, wan configurations. The laptop seem to have a DHCP server function:

[removed printscreen showing mac addresses, etc. probably wasn't a good idea in the first place]

If the above prtscreen displays (having used cut-paste, I would appreciate feedback. If this is a legitimate problem, it may require a seperate thread as I haven't been able to find one. (experienced users, Please advise. I don't want to waste anyones time)

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.