Linksys WRT1900ACS - Cannot connect to 2.4G Wifi

Hi, I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS router that I have had Openwrt installed on for several years. A few months ago I upgraded it to Openwrt 18.06. Not long after the upgrade I discovered that some devices cannot connect to 2.4G Wifi.
I have a 5Ghz (ac) and 2.4Ghz (bgn) and a 2.4Ghz guest wifi networks setup up. A couple of laptops an iphone and a Samsung/android phone are able to connect to all of these networks without a problem. I have found three Android phones that can connect to the 5Ghz network but cannot connect to either of the 2.4Ghz networks unless I turn of security for those SSIDs. If I turn off security they are able to connect without a problem. I have been trying to search the forums and documentation to figure out what might be wrong but cannot find anything. I don't no how long this has been going on or if it started before or after the update (I set the router up from scratch after the update) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I believe I have read that there are some 2.4 GHz interoperability issues with the wireless in that series with certain devices, though primarily with ESP8266-based IoT devices. @eduperez may have further insight (he just got a "ping" from that @-mention)

1 Like

issue#262

4 Likes

Did you get this fixed? I have the same problem on openWrt 22.03.2 with Android 8.1.0 Google Nexus 5x

@hemzer - it would be good to start a new thread - so much has changed in the different releases that the problem is not likely the same.

Start a new thread and then post your configs.

1 Like

It has been years since the last mwlwifi driver update (abandonware), so no reason to believe (hope) that the situation has changed any from the above linked issue.