Linksys WRT1200ACV1 Wifi problems

Hi Group

Before I completely give up on OpenWRT I thought I better post the problem on the forum.
I have a number of these routers which appeared to be working great but now I am having endless performance issues with Wifi on the office router. Now I am not talking about only 400Mbps when it should be more, I am talking about sometimes around the 20Mbps type mark or less.

I am on 18.06.2 and have tried upgrading to 18.06.4 to no avail. I have tried different hardware and also tried David's (dc502wrt.org) snapshots. David's snapshot worked when I tested it initially but now I am having exactly the same issues again.

I really cant understand why this is not working. I have another site with the same router and it was working fine.

Where should I go now? Either tempted to try DD-WRT or just use Ubiquiti for wireless.

Thanks
Mike

Maybe it is just a bad router. They happen from time to time. Also use the latest version of mwlwifi from https://github.com/eduperez/mwlwifi_LEDE

Along with updating as @jasond suggested you might post the output of cat /etc/config/wireless (make sure to remove passwords), maybe someone will spot something unusual. Fwiw I'm on a wrt1200 v1 w/18.06.4 and getting my isp speeds of 200/10 ok -

Thanks guys for your response.
I have changed the hardware a couple of times so its certainly not that.
I have now installed the latest firmware as per jasond. Hopefully I did it correctly.

Please find the config file below:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11a'
	option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'
	option htmode 'VHT80'
	option country 'AU'
	option legacy_rates '1'
	option channel 'auto'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
	option device 'radio0'
	option mode 'ap'
	option macaddr 'c2:56:27:bc:7d:a1'
	option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
	option network 'lan'
	option ssid 'My SSID'
	option key 'password'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11g'
	option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
	option htmode 'HT20'
	option country 'AU'
	option channel 'auto'
	option legacy_rates '1'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
	option device 'radio1'
	option mode 'ap'
	option macaddr 'c2:56:27:bc:7d:a0'
	option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
	option network 'lan'
	option ssid 'My SSID'
	option key 'secret'

I believe it should be fairly stock standard.
Thanks all for your help.

Mike

The only thing I see from your config is you are not setting fixed channels for your WiFi. Use WiFi analyzer on a smartphone to find unoccupied channels and set openwrt to use them. That will be difficult with 2.4 Ghz if you have people living near you. There are only three full with channels in 2.4 Ghz, 1, 6, and 11. In fact if you don't need 2.4 support turn it off. 5Ghz is much easier to find an unused channel.

The channel selection is the only thing I see too, if the same router works fine in another location, maybe there's something in the network area that's changed and causing interference, if so selecting a clear channel may help.

Thanks guys. Yes I did use a Wifi Analyser and set the channels manually although the AC was fine and it was only the BGN that there was an overlap.
I really dont know why I am having these issues. I suspect there may be some package I have installed that is affecting things.

Thanks
Mike