Linksys wap54g v2 3 leds

Hi,

I have a linksys wap54g v2 (edit i mistaken it for v1.1) (second edit: 2 MB Intel flash memory, 8 MB RAM and 3 LEDs on front panel) I would like to install with openwrt, but documentation is a bit confusing and I'm not understanding which firmware to install. As far as I understand I have to choose the proper version or risk to run out of ram/bricking the device, right?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t believe it is supported at all. Besides, it is extremely old, very limited in terms of storage and ram, and any version of OpenWrt that would even support it would be so obsolete that it would not be practical to get support/help (it is unlikely anyone would even remember the details to help you configure and run that device). Just get something newer and you’ll be much better off.

https://oldwiki.archive.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openwrtdocs/hardware/linksys/wap54g

Thank you, I wish I could get another one.
For now I will give a try to kamikaze. https://archive.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09.2/brcm47xx/openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx

What will you be using this for? DO NOT use it as an internet connected router - kamikaze has many known and exploitable security issues and will be a vector for attacks from the internet.

It is probably okay to use (if you can get it to work) as an AP only (behind a router/firewall) or for a non-internet-connected network.

It's going to be a repeater/radio bridge, I live in a very very isolated ex colonial forest villa in the middle of nowhere and about 36km from any sign of human life, the only point where my 4g simcard modem has connection on the roof of the house, this wap is going to act as a repeater/wifi bridge to the floor below, the house is made of stone and acts as faraday cage so i need a repeater.
I forgot to mention: as it stand with original firmware it's not connecting in repeater mode to my 4/5g modem

Understood.
I don’t think you will be able to set it up as a repeater, though. You will almost certainly need to hardwire it. See this thread for a similar chipset and the lack of a bridge option on both the chipset and the old firmware.

1 Like

What is hindering you in getting a device with sufficient Flash + RAM?

My guess is that the OP doesn't have the physical ability to obtain a newer device (at least not without reasonably significant effort and/or cost). I'm basing it on this:

2 / 8 MB memory makes this project a total non-starter. Note that the firmware file you referenced is already larger than the flash chip-- it can't fit. 4/16 is the minimum to run old versions.

2 Likes

@mk24 has a good point -- I didn't even look at the size of the image you were proposing, and it is true, you're stuck.

However, the device you're dealing with is a WAP (wireless access point), not a router. So, in theory, you should be able to use the stock firmware, configure its IP address and SSID/password, and plug it into your network. But you won't be able to set it up as a repeater -- you'll have to hardwire (but I had already mentioned that anyway, even if you could use OpenWrt).

In the stock firmware/web interface it has the "wireless repeater" setup, i thought i could use it as a kind of radio bridge, with a solar-battery connector, i got the solar-battery connetion setup, i guess all work for nothing. or i should run a long ethernet cable down

See what happens with the repeater mode built-in (it is likely WDS which requires both the main and the secondary device to both be configured for this type of connectivity, and also has a significant impact on bandwidth -- usually cutting it in half). But if you can run a wire, that is always better.

"Client bridge" would be what to look for in the stock firmware. This would connect to your wifi hotspot to offer that Internet connection to the Ethernet side.

The "repeater" mode may also work that way, with the additional feature of repeated wifi.

If wire can be installed you could make up a long USB2 cable (modem on roof to PC inside) from cat5e cable. This would be completely passive so no extra power consumption.

1 Like