Linksys MR8300 // ASUS RT-AC85P | Any Good?

I need to replace my main router, i can buy them for 100€ and both are supported in the current snapshots but i'm afraid of wireless capacity, anyone have any of them?

Thanks

The MR8300 can also use stable release of EA8300 19.07.5 and has dual firmware, is impossible to brick if you never overwrite OEM firmware by upgrading over it. Once you install OpenWrt, you can always revert to OEM to start over.

The WiFi performance is good but not known to have superior range.

The dual firmware makes it an ideal OpenWrt, any device without dual is a deal breaker as far as I am concerned.

1 Like

I agree. The dual firmware has saved my butt quite a few times...

1 Like

Thanks for replying, agree dual firmware is a pain release, but i guess that the Flash 256 is 128 each right?

One more device, D-Link DIR-1960 is better with the wifi range/support (is WLAN driver:mt76 and the MR8300 is ath10k). My mains router right now is a Huawei HS8247W and in last decade i use a TL-WR841N with OpenWRT but i want to replace both.

All other routers you are proposing are dual-band, while MR is tri-band, making for dedicated mesh back-haul expansion possible, which actually makes range expansion increase a way better performing option with MR.

MR is much more Future-Proof, +512Mb RAM on top and yes 2 x 128Mb Flash...

1 Like

Which router did you choose ?

Hi,

i order the MR8300 and later an Redmi AC2100 too but none as arrived yet.

If you're getting the MR8300, you might be interested in this.

1 Like

There seems to a lot of issues with this version developed mainly on an 6350, users seem to be experiencing unexpected reboots, seems unstable to me.

I would stick with release 19.07.5 if you want something that's reliable.

Then again, I guess it depends on actual use and if reliability is a requirement...

To be clear, for anyone that may feel disengaged about this claim, it is not something that I did wrong, nor is it the fault of my build or myself in any sense of the word. It is not an isolated issue: 306

I don't explain why it happened, who is to blame for it, or how it was fixed, but it is definitively fixed at this point. I know it by first hand: 317

Also: extending it from one device to other devices is not the root of the issue when all devices, from different CPUs and architectures, from the unmodified OpenWrt spashots experience the same problem. We can agree that the statement is quite false.

1 Like

I wasn't blaming anyone, just reading many posts dating the last few weeks and well there seemed to be issues, which are also common on snapshots.

A user new to a device surely would appreciate minimizing issues, specifically after asking which device is better. Thus my opinion about using release was within that context.

Please note I do not count reliability in days, but in months, maybe I should have said that. Of course, since you use your device for development, likely days are between dev reboots, which could explain your position of stable, but unfortunately that doesn't speak for long term reliability.

Nothing is taken away from you work, as a matter of fact I think it's great to see improvements specifically targeted at IPQ4019 devices.

Maybe I should have said it differently, no offense intended.

No worries, I was not talking about you or discussing your point, nor taking it personally or anything of the like. Running 8 days may look meaninglessness, but considering that it was running less than 18 hours before crashing speaks for itself.

There are people that are not developers that run a single build for months, so I cannot deny their experience either. There can be some bugs here and there when running snapshots, for sure, but most of the time they are small annoyances rather than critical bugs.

It's a price to pay if you like bleeding edge and improvements that are rather controversial such as overclocking. Anyway, I do not recommend the build to anyone which needs something rock solid. That people is probably better with the stock firmware anyway.

It's a valid point of yours and don't get my message wrong, it was not directed to you (responding your message doesn't mean I have something against you). Just giving people the other side of the coin, life may not be always black or white and people often need to know the two versions to choose the one that fits better.

About stock firmware, nobody is better with. It is usually very obsolete, riddled with vulnerabilities and missing important functionality.

There is a reliable middle ground between bleeding edge improvements/snapshots and stock...

The best option IMHO is OpenWrt latest release, like 19.07.5 and keep updating until next release.

Way, way better than stock, anytime...
Nobody deserves stock firmware...