Adding OpenWrt support for Linksys EA9200

squashfs is a read-only filesystem, even if you wanted, you can't write to it in-place.

thanks for the prompt reply :slight_smile:

Bump***
Hello guys I'm new to the forum. I actually have two of them. One that I'm using that is driving me crazy with the crappy intermittent parental controls, and another one that's new in the box so I could burn one if need be. Just give me some instructions and tell me what to do and I'll be your trial and error and see if it works.

ShiZZ_DiGG

Same here. i already played a little bit with the nvram0 ... at least we got a backup flash.

I'm trying to dump the flash memory but theonlything i get it'S bin file with only "FF's"

if it's possible i can solder a jtag port (i'm equipped for microsoldering), maybe we could do something useful of those paperweight!

DD-WRT might have working firmwares for EA9200.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28Wireless_a.2Fb.2Fg.2Fn.2Fac.29

It says TBD for EA9200. But right above in their HW list there is EA6900 which apparently has similar hardware, is supported and does have a DD-WRT firmware:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_EA6900

There are links to detailed (and not easy) installation instructions in above link.

Who will be nice enough to test DD-WRT firmware for EA6900 in a EA9200 unit to see how it goes ?

Last beta is here:

https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F2019%2F02-19-2019-r38840%2Flinksys-ea6900%2F

Thank you in advance

Also, EA9500 looks very similar to EA9200.

There is a guy that has working recent OpenWRT firmware for EA9500:

Bringing this old thread back from dead. I tried flashing the initial firmware
2020-01-02 on to my EA9200 and it boots without issue. Looking more into this.

1 Like

I have succeeded in creating my own snapshot build for EA9200.
Currently just boots up and shows the OpenWRT landing page. No wireless or anything.
Here is the link if anyone wants to give it a try EA9200

1 Like

I have the first alpha build for EA9200, with working Radio, Switch and other things.
I have forked from hurrian's repo for EA9500 and made necessary changes for 9200.
Let me know your feedbacks

2 Likes

howto flash?

Thank you so much for building this!

I was lucky enough to you have factory firmware 1.1.5 and was able to flash from factory GUI!!! Not sure if you can downgrade if you are on 1.1.7 or 1.1.9. 1.1.5 no longer on Linksys site. Found this:

Older firmware also might be in your alternate boot location which I recall having read loads after 3 failed attempts at normal boot. Power off 10 seconds into boot maybe???

Otherwise, you probably have to go serial cable...

Another reference thread:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=280327&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Hope that helps.

I'm very surprised at your work!

I wonder if there is stock firmware's trx. I don't know why but my 2.4GHz network is disappeared, so I'd like to start again from scratch.

Thanks!

I solved. I could flash stock firmware(1.1.5 ver.) after nvram erase command.

1 Like

Is there a particular reason the work that was done on the EA9200 not included into openwrt branch from jithvk github account?

Best regards
onefreeman

Because it was a hack. When flashed without checking current firmware offset, it could soft brick your device (in 50% cases).
The proper support for Linksys partitioning is in works. First patches were already added, see

kernel: move mtd ofpart accepted patch
bcm53xx: backport NVMEM NVRAM driver
kernel: backport Broadcom NVRAM driver cleanups
bcm53xx: initialize NVRAM from NVMEM driver
kernel: add the latest mtd patch extending ofpart parser

I'm waiting now for:

1. DTS changes to get accepted upstream
  2. MTD parser to get accepted upstream

You can check my tree meanwhile https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/staging/rmilecki.git;a=summary

1 Like

wonderful and thank you for sharing I take it that broadcom woke up and said "were sorry for all these years of not sharing" smile.

I looked through some of the work that was done and wasn't ready to try it since the post was done some time back and his work hadn't made it to the snapshot and I couldn't find anything in openwrt sources, this is interesting but will the EA9200 be without wifi or partial support at this time?

Something off topic, I had done a post about the led situation for the R6700v2 and could not post to the patch letting them know that the patch described worked but I couldn't get the led to notice a non-gigabit connection the leds would all be white even though a non-gig connection was connected.

Thanks again for the with this reply.

Best regards
onefreeman

Broadcom doesn't pay me.

Linksys EA9200 has 3 x BCM43602, so it should work with brcmfmac. 5 GHz bands may require some extra work.

1 Like

With the commit 98d456a14e00 ("bcm53xx: backport first 5.13 DTS changes") I believe that Linksys EA9200 partitioning should be supported.

I need someone to flash OpenWrt firmware to the second firmware partition and verify that kernel:

1. Detects 0x000000200000 as fallback
  2. Detects 0x000002a00000 as firmware

Can someone try it & provide a boot log?

1 Like

If they did you probably be under their control.

I wasn't sure but thank you for confirming that it may work the brcmfmac and I feel that at least development will go forward with some help with the community in some form or another.

Okay i have the EA9200 which is why I am interested in the project but I'm not familiar with how to flash to the second partition?

I'll need a to do some soldering first and is there a image?

Is there a link to download this image?

Best regards
onefreeman

I have the jithvk code from last May on my EA9200 as I mentioned earlier in the thread, but haven't really used it since I got it loaded/working.

Wanting to update to current.

Anything I can do to help this effort along?