Linksys EA7300 v2 Slow Client (relayd?)

I have a Linksys EA7300 v2 running OpenWRT and have configured it to be a wireless repeater/extender using relayd. I am concerned about the speeds when using this router as a repeater/extender because the speeds significantly drop (even with the repeater/extender and wifi computer positioned adjacent to my ISP's router). Here are the speeds (via speedtest-cli from both the wifi laptop as well as from being installed on the OpenWRT repeater/extender) that I am getting:

Wifi Computer connected Directly to ISP router
Downstream: 317.3 Mbps
Upstream: 22.4 Mbps

speedtest-cli installed on the OpenWRT repeater/extender
Downstream: 80.67 Mbps

Wifi Computer Connected to ISP through repeater/extender
Downstream: 31.8 Mbps
Upstream: 17 Mbps

Is this normal behavior for relayd? I expect to be a drop in bandwidth, but this seems excessive. Again, the wifi laptop and the OpenWRT repeater/extender are positioned beside the ISP router to eliminate signal strength issues.

Thoughts?

speedtest-cli installed on the OpenWRT repeater/extender
Downstream: 80.67 Mbps

Get our backhaul nailed down first. I trust you are using the 5GHz radio as the backhaul to your router. Configure the AP and the router accordingly so that you have an open clear channel with no interference. Reposition the access point and router. Re-orient the antennas if you have to get a clear stable signal. Use LUCI wireless page to guide you. You want to see something around -55dbm for the backhaul (all 4 bars)

Configure SSIDs on your 2.4GHz for your clients to connect to.

I trust you are using the 5GHz radio as the backhaul to your router ... Configure SSIDs on your 2.4GHz for your clients to connect to.

I was missing this. After doing this, I am now able to get around 80-90 Mbps. That still seems slow (compared to 300+ Mbps) when connecting to my ISP router, but it is much better than 31.8 Mbps.

you are probably connecting to your router on 5GHz. You are now on the 2.4GHz channels so expect it to be at least half that.

However, you can still improve performance if you are willing to invest more time in your setup. The only issue is that the airwaves are out of your control so what works good today may not work well tomorrow depending on how congested your airwaves are. If your neighbor resets their routers then current configuration can become congested the next day.

I use ping tools on my samsung android to help me with setting up the backhaul. It has a wireless scanner that scans the airwaves and gives me a picture of the congestion and free channels I can choose from. Obviously congestion changes on a daily basis if you live in a crowded residential area. But I find most people don't bother and leave their channels on default anyway (usually 36). I always configure my channels in the DFS space or higher up at 165MHz where it is usually always clear on most days.

For the 2.4GHz space it is always congested and you will be sharing your bandwidth with your neighbors. I usually get around 100~120Mbs on the 2.4GHz channels. But latency is low and reliable on a day-to-day basis so I am happy at this level.

Antennas are a big factor. If your AP is on the 2nd floor you should lay your 5GHz antenna on the router flat so that the waves propagate vertically.

Thank you for informing me of realistic expectations. I have this repeater/extender currently sitting right beside me (withing 1 foot) with my laptop and phone, and both are getting around 85 Mbps (download) when connected wirelessly (at the 2.4 GHz radio since the client 5 GHz radio is used for the wireless link to the main ISP router). When I use a network cable to plug my laptop into this repeater/extender, I am getting the expected 300+ Mbps. Is 85 Mbps a maximum speed for 2.4 GHz?

Note: I have the channel set to the least congested band (channel 1, in my case).

ok, so the backhaul is working fine. With regards to 2.4GHz clients that will depend on a number of factors both with the router h/w, how it is configured, and also the client. Any amount of congestion will affect bandwidth, speed, latency, and reliability. But there are ways you can still eek out some improvements, Try setting your MTU in DHCP.

If you're using windows type ping 1.1.1.1 -f -l 1430 and see if you get a ping reply. If you do slowly increment the packet size let's say 1440 then 1450 until you get an error. Let's say the maximum MTU is 1460 before you get an error. Go to DHCP options and set option 26,1460. This will eek out a little more speed when browsing the internet. Not all devices will accept the 26 option. Linux certainly does. Some android phones will accept option 26. Windows definitely not.

Forget to add: Windows you will need to set it manually using the NETSH command.