Linksys E8450 Bricked - How to open the device?

I have a Linksys E8450 that I bricked when trying to install sysupgrade image from recovery image. I'm trying to access the serial port to unbrick it. However, I'm not sure how to open the device because there are no screws at the bottom. Any tips on how to open this device?

2 Likes

Thanks @stmtpr I missed the part that the screws were under the stickers. I was able to successfully open the unit. I'm working on connecting to the serial console and recovering.

1 Like

If this "accident" happened after you run the UBI-conversion installer you should always be able to recover the device using TFTP even without opening the case or attaching serial port. Just run TFTP server on address 192.168.1.254/24 offering openwrt-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-initramfs-recovery.itb there and the device should pick it up automatically in case the on-flash recovery image has been broken.

If you are still running the stock bootloader you are out of luck and will need to open the device and connect to the serial port inside.

4 Likes

Thanks for this pro-tip! I didn't run the UBI conversion installer and still went ahead and flashed with a UBI sysupgrade image. That's how I bricked the device. Not sure if your solution will work in that case. However, I was able to get the serial console and recovered the box using TFTP recovery method. Good learning experience which I would have missed, had I followed the instructions correctly :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.