Linking LED lights to VLAN

I'm using a WAX202 router with two wan sources. One is connected via the WAN port and the other is over a vlan trunk on the LAN1 port as br-lan.9.

I would love to be able to set one of my LED to be controlled by VLAN 9 so I can tell when the connection fails. As it is, the LED only tells me of activity over the port in general, which is fairly useless.

Have a look here, it should help:

1 Like

Sorry, but I don't see any mention of VLAN there.

It's easy to control a LED with the VLAN activity, but you want to turn it OFF "when the connection fails"?

You need a script for this. This subject has been discussed lately.

Still, I want to change LAN1's port to only show activity for br-lan.9, not all activity.
Maybe it's possible with a script, but I still see no one mentioning a way of having an LED respond to a VLAN instead of all activity on that port.

On every router that I have used, the ports LED are controlled automaticaly. It may be possible to control them by directly adressing the GPIO. But it's tough :sweat_smile:, and you'll need documentation about your device. I had an issue once that is closed to your.

Thanks. That's above my skill set ATM.

2 Likes

And mine too. I understand the problem, and may find how to solve this, but it'll need a huge amount of time for such a tiny result. Not worthy.

Maybe I should move this to feature request then.

1 Like

Have a look at this as an example. As you can see it is possible to control LAN LEDs when you know the GPIO configuration.

The next release won't allow you to control the lan leds on most devices of the ramips-mt7621 target at all (in software)

Until the Linux Kernel brings the functionality to control/set up switch controlled LEDs (hw offloading)
Until then the switch will control them by default (showing activity only)

I just wrote down the reasons in another github issue

There are more accurate explanations somewhere in github issues, but this should suffice