Lede wiki translation issues

it seems lede wiki has a little flag that allows people to add translated pages.

I noticed because someone (nickname "eluzive") is translating it in russian and I'm getting notified.

I see that current wiki docs are not in the "en" namespace so if I switch to another language I cannot switch back to english view (it says that pages in "en" do not exist).

Could the translation feature be disabled?

I think that it adds confusion in the long run, as the other languages will not be maintained in sync with the "master" English, especially a bit later when the initial enthusiasm of the translators has waned.

I second @hnyman's thought. The entire site is evolving too quickly for it to be practical to make careful, thoughtful hand translations.

Might it make sense to have a button/link on pages to send the text to Google Translate?

Sorry for confusion, just try to help RU-users and LEDE :slight_smile:

Hi @ELuzive Welcome to LEDE. I think it's great that you are interested in the project, and I always want to support people who support LEDE.

In the long term, I think it might be useful to have some hand-translated pages. But I have a few concerns:

1. In these early days, all the pages are evolving quickly. We're not close to having stable documentation: we're making big and small changes all the time.

2. At this stage, many changes are critical technical details, so it's important that any (translated) pages get updated.

3. I'm also concerned about the longer-term maintenance obligation. Even after the page has been translated, someone has to "chase" all the changes as they happen.

Not being a Russian speaker, I would like your opinion about an alternative:

Would it be good enough, at least in the short term, to add some kind of "Translate this page..." link that goes to Google Translate? That way, readers could take the original material and have it (approximately) translated to any language.

Thanks, and again, Welcome!

To begin, I would like to translate the main pages, which are less susceptible to change (in the case of a change I am happy to update the translation). Documentation wait a while and we can use the alternative option - Google Translater.

from https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:translation#configuration :

When you have a default language that gets translated to other languages, it might be helpful to warn visitors on outdated translations. Enabling the checkage option will do that by comparing the age of the translation page with the one of the original (default language) page. It also tries to find the last revision of the original page that was edited before the translation and links to a diff view.

There's no mention of the timerange that checkage covers though.

Further config options (see also the above link)

plugin»translation»translationns
If you only want translations below a certain namespace, put it here.

Not sure if this can be used in a useful way in the wiki.

plugin»translation»skiptrans
When the pagename matches this regular expression, don't show the translation menu.

Would make sense for all dataentries e.g. /toh/hwdata + /packages/pkgdata

plugin»translation»translateui
Should the language of the user interface be switched in foreign language namespaces, too?

Is there any preference for this? It is needed for the next option.

plugin»translation»redirectstart
Should the start page automatically redirect into a language namespace using browser language detection?

This would make the translations more visible for the users.

[quote="richb-hanover, post:5, topic:401, full:true"]1. In these early days, all the pages are evolving quickly. We're not close to having stable documentation: we're making big and small changes all the time.[/quote]The pace of changes is very manageable, what wiki are you talking about lol?

Also, I'd personally try to avoid using Google Translator as it's usually garbage.

[quote="tmomas, post:7, topic:401, full:true"]

plugin»translation»translateui
Should the language of the user interface be switched in foreign language namespaces, too?

Is there any preference for this? It is needed for the next option.

plugin»translation»redirectstart
Should the start page automatically redirect into a language namespace using browser language detection?

This would make the translations more visible for the users.
[/quote]Imho yes to 1 and I'd also say yes to 2 as long as there is a clear indication that the pages they are seeing were translated and that they aren't the original. (maybe add a banner on top)

I also hope that the chosen language is remembered for people that have an account.

Is it possible to introduce time-stamping and if the time-stamp of the translation is older than the time-stamp of the document then when translation is viewed to show a notification at the top of the page something like "this translated text might not be up-to-date to the original document in english available here"?

@stangri

10 character filler.

Great, so that takes care of the outdated translations.

Better to have some, possibly outdated translations than none.