LEDE Table of Hardware: Review of dataentry fields - final round

We are approaching the final dataentry creation for the LEDE Table of Hardware, which I scheduled for 23-DEC-2016. Before this, I need your comments and thoughts regarding the following datafields:

datafield_datatype : value # comment

1) Installation method_instmethods : # --------> Description goes here, e.g. 'generic' or 'specific' or ...; CTRL+click for multiselect`

• Introduced due to "modularity!" thinking; still nothing more than a concept. Can we make any use of this?
  • Any helpful comment to add?
  • Values = < wikipagelink>|< display in datatables>
    standardflashinginstructions|OEM GUI,
    flashwithssh|CLI,
    flashwithhardwaremod|Hardware mod,
    tp-link_interface_2017-2020|TP-Link 2017-2020,
    d-link|D-Link,
    netgear|Netgear

2) Flash offset : # (min-max) --------> Description goes here

• Can we make any use of this?
  • Any helpful comment to add?
  • multiple possible?
  • Examples?

3) Instruction Set_instructionset : MIPS32 # https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_instruction_sets
Sub Instruction Set_subinstructionset : # --------> Description goes here

• Since we now have "Package Architecture": Can these two be deleted?

4) Video port_port-video : # Kind of video port, e.g. LVDS, HDMI, Composite, ...

• Values = Composite, DP, HDMI, LVDS, VGA, other
  • other values?
  • multiple possible?

5) Audio port_port-audio : # Kind of audio port, e.g. Line out, phone jack, ...

• Values = Line, Headphone jack, HDMI, S/PDIF, other
  • other values?
  • multiple possible?

6) Phone ports_port-phone : # Number or kind of phone ports

• Values = ¿, -, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, more than 6
  • other values?
  • What kind of phone ports exist? analog, ISDN, ...?

7) Bluetooth_bluetooth : # Bluetooth version, e.g. 4.1

• Values = ¿, -, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, BLE, other
  • other values?

8) Fields to be deleted (either now or later, e.g. with the first LEDE release)

• OpenWrt Releases
  • OpenWrt FW downloads
  • OpenWrt Forum link

Dataentries in general

• All fields in that are needed? Is any field missing?
  • Is there any superfluous field, that we absolutely do not need?
  • Do all datafields have correct and helpful comments?

During the tryout period, you can check out all datafields and available values by editing any dataentry you like:

1. Go to the LEDE Table of Hardware
  2. Click View/Edit data (last column)
  3. Edit the dataentry via the LEFT edit button below the box.
  4. You can now see all datafields and all dropdown values.
  5. Play around, report back if anything is missing, incorrect, not working as expected.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Hey,

Just wondering for the label in regards to "OWrt Supported Current Rel" and 'LEDE Supported Current Rel"

Does "Current' refer to "stable"? as in "Supported Stable Release". I just see multiple version under that section but I assumed that the values would've been the same based the term "Current" used.

For example if I saw the below table, I would ask myself, "the Build for TD-W8960N is not current because there's a newer build, 15.05":

TD-W8960N | 12.09
WR6202 ......| 15.05

I assumed the data is for "Latest supported release" where the term "release" refers to an official release considered to be stable enough for the public. Not really a problem but i was wondering if people misunderstood the section like I did. I'm just looking for the real meaning of "Current"

Following onto my previous note... A couple thoughts for ToH defaults that can be addressed on a case-by-case basis by Device Page authors who are familiar with the device:

1. Current LEDE Release It would be good have defaults for two cases:
  • NO SUPPORT - if we know ahead of time there's not enough RAM/Flash/etc. .
  • Untested - there may be a build for this model, but no Device Page author has verified it.
  1. Installation Method - is there any way to default to "Standard Flashing Instructions"? That way the ToH tells people to use well written/tested instructions. Device Page authors can alter the instructions if needed...

Following onto my previous note... A couple thoughts for defaults:

1. Current LEDE Release It would be good have defaults for two cases:

I don't see much value in putting the current lede release in a ToH database, it
changes all the time.

there's value in knowing the first release to support hardware, and if support
is dropped, the last version that supported it.

but why list the current version?

1. Installation Method - is there any way to default to "Standard Flashing Instructions"? That way, the ToH tells people to use well written/tested instructions. Device Page authors can alter the instructions if needed...

Unless you can follow the vendor update process (which is in different menus for
every vendor), the flashing instructions are going to be different per vendor,
and sometimes different per model even with the same vendor.

I don't know what you would be referring to with "Standard Flashing
Instructions"

David Lang

Ahah! The terminology is getting in our way. I meant "release" as in "stable". I would amend my suggestion to have defaults of NO SUPPORT, Untested, and Snapshot until the time we have a real, official Release.

The Standard Flashing Instructions page is designed to guide newcomers through the steps of a) installing LEDE over factory firmware, or b) updating a router that already runs LEDE/OpenWrt.

The intent was to come up with a flashing procedure that works every time for the vast majority of common gear and for newcomers with normal skills. (And if the equipment/flashing procedure isn't common, it shunts the reader to a different page.)

This page was designed to be an antidote to the dozens (hundreds?) of badly written, incomplete, overly-complicated descriptions of flashing instructions on the OpenWrt site. (Obviously, updates/corrections welcome...)