LEDE + Pi3b: No nodejs package in repo

Using latest version of LEDE 17.01.3 (arm_cortex-a53_neon-vfpv4) on Pi3, but it seems there is no nodejs package in repo.
How can it be installed?

best regards,
Nic

For most devices targetted by LEDE (read most routers, pretty much all mips devices; that obviously isn't an issue for a RPi), nodejs is too heavy (both in terms of system requirements and its reliance on floating point support, whose emulation is extremely slow on the mips architecture) to be useful (or usable at all). This means no one really bothered about spending significant effort to package nodejs so far, as it simply wasn't useful on most target devices anyways (and it still isn't useful on today's (even ARMv7+) hardware routers, due to their flash and RAM limits).

If you care about nodejs, you'll probably have to invest that effort yourself to get it merged into the package feeds.

1 Like

Thanks for clearify it, but then nodejs should remove completely from LEDE :wink:
otherwise non expert users could get confused like me :slight_smile:

But its still included in some devices e.g. in a DIR-645 (mipsel, node v4.4.5), but it doesnt work.
For such low power devices I can understand, but for the Raspberry family not.

What y describe is valid for the past but nowadays more and more router get more powerfull, as I can see LEDE for the Linksys WRT1200AC there is still a nodejs version 4.4.5 included? Does this work?

FYI - Package architectures for which nodejs is available: https://lede-project.org/packages/pkgdata/node

The arch "arm_cortex-a53_neon-vfpv4" is not mentioned in this list, but this still the only LEDE distro running on a Pi3.
When nodejs is not included in this arch it means technically its not possible to get it run or compile it?

I have tried to compile nodejs v6 LTS (latest) but it seems there are problems with soft and hard float by gcc.
Could somebody give hints by which flags could it be possible to compile node?