LEDE on TP-Link Archer C50, but the install Instructions is in polish

Well, I am not so brave as I could've been, but was having the same problem as you - where the image size was appearing to be bigger than the flash size, as pointed out here - and recently "solved" the problem...

So, for some reason, the LEDE sysupgrade image for the version 17.01.4 is much smaller than the previous ones, with a size of approximately 3,5MB (less than half o_O).

It was just a question of flashing the image from LuCI and I am now running the latest release os LEDE =D

I saw the solved issues, and tryed myself flashing 17.01.4 from gui. It was a success, but even when I checked keep settings, it doesn't, so it changed the gui IP without noticing me, and I waited in front of the "dont turn down the router" sign for a long time... until I started to suspect that the IP might be changed...

The update was applied, the settings where a mix from a new installation (and the old and configured one). All the mount options where lost, no swap, no extroot, etc. Tryed to restore a config backup made prior updating, but wasn't enough. After some config, it started to look as before (but updated). Many programs where running and had instances in init.d, but where not in the opkg database...so installed them, uninstalled afterwards (to clean the files) and in some cases, re-installed clean versions. But yes, it works now as expected, anyway I still wont recommend to a complete newbie to go thru all the steps from the original firmware to LEDE yet... until someone has a direct and hassle-free method working for the europe version of Archer C50.

Regarding the "keep settings" options - from Sysupgrading an existing LEDE device from the web admin GUI:

"Uncheck/clear the “Keep settings” checkbox! (more info regarding the "Keep settings" checkbox and it's rare use cases)."

To preserve your setting you have to backup the configuration and restore the backed up file after the upgrade...

I also would like to see a easier way to make the upgrade. I wonder if the new 17.01.4 images are suited for and upgrade from the stock firmware (but not enough to return to stock and try myself =P).

There seems to be a problem with the current factory images in snapshot, a fix is being worked on here: https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/1467

Installed snapshot from 5 January 2018 on C50 V1 EU using factory-eu image ( because no release exist for it, I have to stick to snapshot, sniff), it works :slight_smile:

1. Bricked, maybe because I updated using the WiFi rather than lan cable. Unbrick by reinstalling the tp-link original firmware using the tftp method as described in this thread. Thanks :wink:
  2. From tp-link firmware web-GUI, performed the upgrade using the factory-eu image from snapshot (using a lan cable from my computer)
  3. It reboot but just show power and lan... no connection possible on 192.168.1.1 nor ssh...nor wifi.
  4. I just pressed the WiFi/WPS button just on top of the reset one... and...WiFi leds started to blink. after 20s got a open “OpenWrt” WiFi network.
  5. Now I can connect using putty/ssh on 192.168.1.1 and install the GUI manually. After that I succeeded to connect using a browser to finish the configuration.

Thanks for this firmware, I am looking forward for a lede 17.01.05 or 18.01.01 release to jump out of snapshots for the factory-eu :slight_smile:

Thanks.

I got exactly the same as you, as far as I've got. But I'm going to describe it anyway, for emphasis:). Downloaded the snapshot eu factory bin (lede-17.01.4-ramips-mt7620-ArcherC50-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin) on 5 Jan, plucked up the courage to upgrade today using the TP-Link web interface; the upgrade was accepted and on reboot the device stuck cycling the LEDs through power/internet (amber)/all.

I thought that was it (I'm not going to be doing any soldering, that's for sure), especially after trying the TFTP method and getting no result. Not entirely helped by my network cable not always being perfectly well seated.

I made the same error with the file name, trusting https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c50, which has the typo with the case of 'V'.

Eventually, with my cable seated correctly, I checked syslog (no systemctl on my laptop yet) and could see that the device was trying to fetch file ArcherC50V1_tp_recovery.bin. Surely the name I was already using, but what the heck, let's try renaming my TFTP file. Bingo. Device comes back up with solid green lights.

That's as far as I've got for now (after checking I could get back into the web interface). Time to take a breath before deciding whether to press on.

Can you point out the place with the typo so we can get it corrected?

Is there anything else that I could add to my TL;DR second post to help others in the same situation as you guys (@shellsroof and @cedcuc17), or anything in general that would have helped you figure out things faster/better?

EDIT: I've added a note on non Windows systems in my TL;DR and I've also modified the Wiki and annotated a comment on the only ambiguous place that I've found. Please inform me if that was the place you were talking about.

Yes, that was the problem with the text.

I'm not sure when I'm going to have another go at flashing my C50, but I'll take a closer look at this thread first and maybe report back afterwards.

I came back to this today, so I'll say what I found, although there's nothing new here, nothing really that's not in your TL;DR post.

My device is the EU variant, and it shipped with the EU 160411 firmware from http://www.tp-link.com/uk/download/Archer-C50_V1.html#Firmware

The comment at https://lede-project.org/toh/hwdata/tp-link/tp-link_archer_c50_v1 says "To install on EU hardware, download factory-eu.bin from snapshot and optionally downgrade to 17.01 via 17.01 sysupgrade.bin". I've tried this twice (different snapshots, I believe) on top of the TP-Link 160411 firmware, and both times it rendered the device unbootable.

The factory-eu.bin did flash via the TP-Link web interface after I first downgraded the TP-Link firmware to 150325. (I had done that via TFTP, for debricking purposes. I haven't tried dowgrading the TP-Link firmware via the TP-Link web interface; I don't know if the TP-Link web interface would allow that or not.)

I then downgraded to 17.01.4, so I dare say I missed the point in using the snapshot factory-eu.bin firmware at all...

Anyhow, I have LEDE running on the device now:).

I know what you mean about the courage. If you have a limited budget, and have just bought a new router to your house, it doesn't cause any good impression (to your daughter or wife) to brick it on the very first days.
:rofl:

I would just make bold “EU V1” device needs latest factory-eu image from Lede snapshots. No need to downgrade or sysupgrade. It just works using

1. Tp-link firmware
  2. Update using factory-eu image directly within the tp-link update menu AND not doing it over wifi but cable.
  3. After reboot, don’t panic if nothing append, wait 2 min, then press the WPS button and wait 30s.
  4. Now you should have an OpenWrt wifi in your range. From there connect to it using ssh (as Snapshot version of Lede have per default no GUI). Set root password and install GUI package.
  5. Connect using a web browser on 192.161.1.1 and use the GUI to finish the configuration.

Thanks a lot guys. Being a noob here and doing it for first time, I was able to upgrade my router to LEDE 17.01.4 from stock firmware successfully.

Thanks again.

Update- Guys, need some help
I was trying to install usb storage support
package installs properly but when i try to insmod- It fails with an errors like these.

Commands used-

insmod ehci-hcd
insmod usbcore

Errors-

failed to insert /lib/modules/4.4.92/ehci-hcd.ko
failed to insert /lib/modules/4.4.92/usbcore.ko

Update 2 - It works and finally installed necessary modules. Had to install USB 1.1 packages first.

usb-common must be inserted first, as usbcore depends on it. Then usbcore, and finally ehci-hcd.

On a release build for a model with USB, those are all usually already inserted at boot. Does lsmod show them?

Though the error you would get then ought to be "module already loaded".

1 Like

Thanks for responding. Finally, Installed them all.
Started researching to view all my partitions as only one of them is mounted right now. Will be happy if any ideas come from you.

Followed this link as tutorial
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.storage#required_packages_for_usb_storage

If anybody active who is using this device, Can you please check this thread and input your suggestions for slow 2.4GHz performance

Hello.
I know it's pretty old thread and nobody like necroposting but i need help.
Recently i bought Archer C50 V1 (RU) and try to install OpenWRT on it. I try all instruction but it's just not works.
I try first install like in @danghuy1994 recepies but interface is not coming up, on router just power and LAN led light.
Same for @steel_rat recepie.
At now i on old stock firmware from @danghuy1994 and don't know what to do

The methods described on the devicepage didn't work for you?

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c50#oem_installation_using_the_tftp_method
https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c50#tftp_recovery_de-bricking

Hello.I try to use latest firmware-eu too,but still no luck. Only firmware i can flash properly (from tftp) it's stock firmware(archerC50v1recovery from this page) After what if i try to load custom firmware from gui router just rebooted in the middle of process and show 2 solid led - power and lan(connected to my PC)

Hello, again. I'm finally able to flash lede and start wi-fi after. I just pressed wi-fi button and all ok. I use snapshot from this site http://dl.eko.one.pl

Hi, thanks everyone so far for their input in how to go about flashing the firmware (EU version). I am wondering if anyone has additional thoughts to solve my particular issue.

My steps were very similar to those of @cedcuc17 on 9 January. I tried flashing from the web interface but had forgotten to plug in my LAN cable so it didn't work and broke the installation. I then trimmed the first 512 bytes. Hoping I did that correctly with this command:
dd if=openwrt-ramips-mt7620-ArcherC50v1-squashfs-factory-eu.bin of=openwrt-ramips-mt7620-ArcherC50v1-squashfs-factory-eu-trim.bin skip=1 bs=512

I then flashed via TFTP, the server log shows the file completed sending, and after some time the LEDs on the router went out. I waited some time longer (at least 5 minutes) for the router to reboot, and nothing seemed to happen, so I rebooted it myself, and again all the LEDs went out (besides for the Internet LED quickly going orange on boot).

So where I'm at now is rather strange. My laptop IP is set at 192.168.0.66, and when the router is switched on and connected via Ethernet cable, my laptop detects a wired connection. However through the "ip route" command I get a gateway of 192.168.0.0, and DHCP does not work. So I'm not able to find a web interface, and I've also tried putting my laptop in the 192.168.1.0 range to see if there's anything there, and using nmap on both ranges I can't find any gateways. The LEDs still don't light up, besides for the Internet icon in orange on boot. The exception is that the Internet LED stays orange when my LAN cable is in port 2 (usually I'm keeping it in port 1), otherwise the LED is off and there is no indication the device is even powered on.

I'm unable to get back into TFTP mode by holding reset on boot (although I have no visual indicator as the LEDs are always off, but I'm not able to transfer any files). Does anyone have any thoughts of things to try? Have I fully bricked the device?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile: