LEDE on D-Link Dir-615 H1 (4MB Flash, 32 MB RAM)

Runs like my big boys (8/64, dual core machines) including plugins (e.g. travelmate, adblock). Using LuCi for everything and never had a problem. So I never suffered any limitations mentioned like usability, extensibility or any stability of operation.

1 Like

for me is working as well, is strange that ramips is working ok but atheros may create some problems

2 Likes

as @lucize mentioned above it looks like a theoretical thing at least for the rampis...

1 Like

really? you have installed some plugins on a 4mb device?

Try running 18.06... I have an A5V11 with 4/32 that I need to cut out PPP just to get Luci in. I had to cut a bunch more stuff (some debugging things I think mostly) in order to get ZRAM and travelmate, and even then it just barely fits.

For 18.06 it looks like you’ll have to get creative, and I can imagine further down the road it’s only going to get harder.

Things get tight nowadays.. Just saw the first release candidate from 18.06...

This is how I builded my images for 17.01.4 with USB-Modem support and travelmate:

Remove these packages:

-ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe -ip6tables -odhcp6c -kmod-ipv6 -kmod-ip6tables

And add these packages:

luci iwinfo travelmate luci-app-travelmate kmod-usb-serial-option usb-modeswitch luci-proto-3g

Also had a version which adds extroot support and includes adblock besides travelmate:

block-mount kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-uhci kmod-fs-ext4 e2fsprogs travelmate luci-app-travelmate

What can I say? It just works! @rj-45 and don't get spoiled... 4megs are big if you do proper housekeeping! :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

awesome, what else can I say.

different times need different solutions. Now - as with openwrt 18.06.1 - for some devices (my rt305x ones with 4MB flash for example) a self build image is somehow mandatory if you want to change password or save settings.

Here are my 2 cents how I build my images with openwrt 18.06.1 imagebuilder:

Remove these packages:

-ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe -kmod-ppp -ip6tables -odhcp6c -kmod-ipv6 -kmod-ip6tables

And add these packages:

uhttpd uhttpd-mod-ubus libiwinfo-lua luci-base luci-app-firewall luci-mod-admin-full luci-theme-bootstrap travelmate luci-app-travelmate

the image should be eatable :shallow_pan_of_food:

1 Like

Just one thing I wonder. The devices with this image are actually serving ipv6 leases:

Active DHCPv6 Leases

Host ...
IPv6-Address ...
DUID ...
Leasetime remaining ...

This is weird :confused: What am I missing to drop the full ipv6 for lan?

Try removing odhcpd-ipv6only. Please add it to the wiki page (https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/saving_space) if it works and doesn't create problems. There may be others as well. I think you will remove more if you configure your own build by using make menuconfig and deselect "Enable IPv6 support in packages" under "Global build settings".

I will try to remove odhcpd-ipv6only and report back

I also disabled these ones here in the .config file to free up some space

# CONFIG_KERNEL_CRASHLOG is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_INFO is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_KERNEL is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ppp is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_ppp is not set

But I want to save a little bit more space to add abilities for a usb 3g-modem (kmod-usb-serial-option usb-modeswitch luci-proto-3g). It still don't fit with my config. :confused:

You could try skipping usb-modeswitch and luci-proto-3g, or use kmod-usb-net-rndis instead of those modules. Also, disabling PACKAGE_MAC80211_MESH if you don't need mesh support will save about 29 KB and disabling PACKAGE_MAC80211_DEBUGFS about 22 KB.

1 Like

I don't get a dhcpipv6 lease now but in luci the entry is still present

Is there really no way to have a prebuild minimal/lite/tiny image (without ipv6, ppp and e.g. debugging things) for our 4MB flash thingies without having a second degree in openwrt studies? It would be much better than providing a working minimal image then the buggy/broken images. Really...

Everything was so nice till 17.x. Even the provided images worked out of the box the good old days. Nowadays you start with a broken image from the official openwrt download page, then you figure out you need to download few hundred megs of image builder software and dependencies and a lot's of research, digging and debugging :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

There is, but nobody has considered it worth the effort. One tiny build would only hit a limited audience. Some want it to have everything but IPv6, some want mesh, some want ppp and some want 3G. It's always been like this for the lowest end devices. Those with a 1 MB flash router were probably disappointed when the first version of OpenWrt required 2 MB flash.

You can't say you weren't warned. From https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning which contains, among other warnings:

4MB devices can't fit anything noteworthy unless you use the Image Generator (Image Builder) (that requires a Linux system and some mild experience) or use Extroot. Experienced users creating custom builds may be able to Saving firmware space, but many packages won't ever fit no matter what you do.

32 MB can work for minimal router/AP functions, but may repeatedly “crash”, depending on your hardware and use case

Users that are not expert users of OpenWrt (those that can build their own images) should consider

16/64 as an absolute minimum for any device, with at least 128 MB of RAM being preferred.

Users should expect that devices with less than 16 MB of flash and/or 64 MB of RAM may be unstable in basic operation under current versions of OpenWrt (17.X, 18.X). They should further expect that support for the device may be dropped at any time and that security patches/updates to the kernel, drivers, and/or application software will not be available. While there is no warranty of ongoing support for any device under OpenWrt, those with insufficient resources are at great risk for “end of support”.

With that "end of support" of many 4/32 devices imminent, you might want to consider replacing a device from 2010 with any one of the many inexpensive devices (US$20 or less) that will have a longer lifespan and save you from spending so much time to get basic functionality. The better of these newer devices likely will far outperform your current device.

I run on 4M/32M ramips A5V11 even 1MB application Oscam, absolutelly stable, i use CC15.05.1

1 Like

Which is known to be insecure and vulnerable to a large number of exploits, as it has been out of active support for years at this point. These vulnerabilities and exploits include the kernel, third-party application software, as well as the protocols themselves, such as 802.11. They cannot be resolved through patches due to the age of the kernel. Kernel 3.18, even though LTS, hit end-of-life in January 2017, nearly two years ago.

No problem, thought it is possible the probability is zero to misuse router

If your wireless is on, then, unless you're in a Faraday cage or alone on a desert island, you're vulnerable. Same with connection to the Internet.

Mathematically speaking: it is possible /maybe but too many compicated things to overcome like no space left in device.../ to penetrate but probability is 0,000000000000000
And i would like to meet such expert personally, my wifi is behind providers NAT and my data comes on mobile phone number not on IP address
So any router is safe and i do not know anyone/never heard that it really happened unless malicious code was installed in factory or by user, never heard it to be installed because of vunerability, thera are milli0ns of different hardwares that it is not possible to develop virus that would spread over millions different machine codes and platforms
Jeff, sleep well and do not exaggarate

1 Like