LEDE on D-Link Dir-615 H1 (4MB Flash, 32 MB RAM)

Hello Everybody,

congratulations for the first stable release and thank's for everybody participating in the project!

I have a question coming from the Release Notes (https://lede-project.org/docs/guide-quick-start/start#why_we_require_8_mbytes_of_flash) sending me over here.

I found the image for my Device (D-Link DIR-615, H1) which - right now - is still running OpenWRT 15.01 with Luci.

The question I have is if the webinterface (Luci) is included? For me this is necessary.

Comparing the sizes of the images (openwrt includes luci)

lede-17.01.0-r3205-59508e3-ramips-rt305x-dir-615-h1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin with 3.268.777 bytes
openwrt-15.05.1-ramips-rt305x-dir-615-h1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin with 3.407.876 bytes

the lede release is even smaller. I don't wan't to try if it's included because I did this already with another devices which is now "softbricked" for me. CLI is working but I can't get access to internet to install (luci)packages... anyway

Question again: Is luci included for the 4MB flash devices or does it come without?

Thanks a lot!

I suggest that you stick to the CC15.05 branch.

Even more crucial than 4 MB flash is the only 32 MB RAM in DIR-615H. That will seriously hurt stability with either LEDE 17.01 or Openwrt master if you install LuCI. There are several threads about problems with 4/32 devices, e.g. LUCI slow down to death (WR1043N V1)

(I added that 32 MB to this thread's title, as that is the important issue here)

https://lede-project.org/meta/infobox/432_warning

To my knowledge, the LEDE release builds do include LuCI, but the RAM issue is more crucial for you.

+1 to that.

Don't upgrade to LEDE. 32MB of RAM is just too low. Trust me on that. I tried many times to make the device work and I failed every time.

OK, sounds reasonable for me. Because of limitations or flash (4MB) and specially ram (32MB) the satisfaction (specially the experience with webgui [luci] and package management [opkg]) will be limited!

I will stay with my ralinks 4/32 on Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 for now.

Thank's for the advises!

Can CC 15.05.1 be still considered secure enough? I have a similar issue with a 32MB AP (WRT160NL) working on CC 15.05.

Since CC 15.05 is not very stable on this device, I need to decide whether to try an upgrade to 15.05.1, to Lede 17.01.2 or to go for a downgrade to its original firmware.

Well, 15.05.1 is an improvement from 15.05 in any case...

Your best option might be self-built image from the head of the 15.05 branch. If has somewhat newer code and fixes to some packages compared to the 15.05.1 release.

But 15.05 starts to be rather unmaintained, so it is not as secure as 17.01.
But your options for a 32 RAM device are limited...

Just to tell you guys it's 2018 and I'm running the most recent LEDE on this device (and all other rt305x devices with 32/4MB setup I own) and it runs wonderful without any hick ups!

So https://openwrt.org/meta/infobox/432_warning is more a theoretical thing...

1 Like

Absolutely not.

1 Like

What do you mean by "wonderful"?

1 Like

Runs like my big boys (8/64, dual core machines) including plugins (e.g. travelmate, adblock). Using LuCi for everything and never had a problem. So I never suffered any limitations mentioned like usability, extensibility or any stability of operation.

1 Like

for me is working as well, is strange that ramips is working ok but atheros may create some problems

2 Likes

as @lucize mentioned above it looks like a theoretical thing at least for the rampis...

1 Like

really? you have installed some plugins on a 4mb device?

Try running 18.06... I have an A5V11 with 4/32 that I need to cut out PPP just to get Luci in. I had to cut a bunch more stuff (some debugging things I think mostly) in order to get ZRAM and travelmate, and even then it just barely fits.

For 18.06 it looks like you’ll have to get creative, and I can imagine further down the road it’s only going to get harder.

Things get tight nowadays.. Just saw the first release candidate from 18.06...

This is how I builded my images for 17.01.4 with USB-Modem support and travelmate:

Remove these packages:

-ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe -ip6tables -odhcp6c -kmod-ipv6 -kmod-ip6tables

And add these packages:

luci iwinfo travelmate luci-app-travelmate kmod-usb-serial-option usb-modeswitch luci-proto-3g

Also had a version which adds extroot support and includes adblock besides travelmate:

block-mount kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-uhci kmod-fs-ext4 e2fsprogs travelmate luci-app-travelmate

What can I say? It just works! @rj-45 and don't get spoiled... 4megs are big if you do proper housekeeping! :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

awesome, what else can I say.

different times need different solutions. Now - as with openwrt 18.06.1 - for some devices (my rt305x ones with 4MB flash for example) a self build image is somehow mandatory if you want to change password or save settings.

Here are my 2 cents how I build my images with openwrt 18.06.1 imagebuilder:

Remove these packages:

-ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe -kmod-ppp -ip6tables -odhcp6c -kmod-ipv6 -kmod-ip6tables

And add these packages:

uhttpd uhttpd-mod-ubus libiwinfo-lua luci-base luci-app-firewall luci-mod-admin-full luci-theme-bootstrap travelmate luci-app-travelmate

the image should be eatable :shallow_pan_of_food:

1 Like

Just one thing I wonder. The devices with this image are actually serving ipv6 leases:

Active DHCPv6 Leases

Host ...
IPv6-Address ...
DUID ...
Leasetime remaining ...

This is weird :confused: What am I missing to drop the full ipv6 for lan?

Try removing odhcpd-ipv6only. Please add it to the wiki page (https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/saving_space) if it works and doesn't create problems. There may be others as well. I think you will remove more if you configure your own build by using make menuconfig and deselect "Enable IPv6 support in packages" under "Global build settings".

I will try to remove odhcpd-ipv6only and report back

I also disabled these ones here in the .config file to free up some space

# CONFIG_KERNEL_CRASHLOG is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_INFO is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_KERNEL is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ppp is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_ppp is not set

But I want to save a little bit more space to add abilities for a usb 3g-modem (kmod-usb-serial-option usb-modeswitch luci-proto-3g). It still don't fit with my config. :confused: