LEDE device as ADSL bridged modem

So... I can't get DSL line sync no matter what I do, and I've just found out the hard way that apparently I can't revert back to the stock firmware - at least not easily. So I'm stuck with OpenWRT on this unit. It's a good thing I bought this one used... my ISP will be sending me new hardware once the NBN is actually available, and they indicate on their website that the DSL modem and router are indeed separate, which means chances are I'll be getting another DM200 before too long. I'll be sure NOT to mess with the stock firmware on that one and use the one I have now for stuffing around. Hopefully OpenWRT firmware will mature in future revisions and I'll be able to have this one working the way I want it.

Alternatively I can try for a half bridge mode and be set up to swap over to HFC or FTTP on a whim. In the meantime I'll try to find one of my other standalone ADSL modems and set it up for full bridge to make sure my WRT3200ACM is handling PPPoE correctly, just so I have peace of mind in that regard.

I'm pretty much calling it quits on getting the OpenWRT modified DM200 working in full bridge mode for now, unless anyone has any further suggestions. I appreciate everyone's help just the same. Thanks again.

Please post your OpenWrt DSL configuration here.

I would suggest to keep the DM200 configured as a router for now, to ensure you do not lose access to the configuration interface. I understand you want to set up a bridge eventually, but let's get the DSL working first.

Just purchased this modem myself, so was there any progress made on this?
Regarding DSL, I have VDSL2 Annex B with my ISP.
My firewall is a VM running Pfsense with a Realtek card passed through to it.
So I believe I could make the VLAN solution work, even though currently I don't have to go as far in order to have the modem work as bridge and have access to its admin interface.
Is it the only option?
In other words how else can I make my firewall do the PPPoE dialing and have access to openwrt's interface?
Also as of now, is there any sort of line statistics available via LuCi or otherwise?
I am fine with command line option via SSH if thats the only way.

fwiw, the post in following thread suggests you can have both WAN and LAN through the LAN1 port by tagging both VLAN 1 & 2 on the LEDE modem, and doing the same on the external LEDE Router's WAN port.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15918.msg379104.html#msg379104
ie. The ECI BT VG3503J modem has two LAN ports, but has been reconfigured to use just the one LAN port if I read it right.

Correction: Oops ! I just reread the the whole thread and noticed mpa already proposed exactly the same thing using VLAN tagging. I would guess the only way to achieve this on DM200 is by editing or uploading the config files because it can't be done using LuCI via single LAN port.

What about half bridge mode?
Is such thing available on openwrt?
In other words, can an openwrt device be turned into a half bridge, so its interface is still available, while PPPoE can be dialed by an external device?

I thought 'half bridge' is where authentication (eg. PPPoE) is done at the modem.....

I think you are referring to 'full bridge' where PPPoE is passed through the modem to the external router handling authentication.

fwiw, I saw another thread where DM200 running stock Netgear firmware operating in bridge mode, and the openwrt router using PPPoE is also able to access the DM200's admin interface too:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/access-dsl-bridged-modem-with-vpn-and-opr-active-how-to/3438
quotes this link for how to set up openwrt router to access to modem's admin interface:
https://simplebeian.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/accessing-your-modem-from-openwrt-router/

No, thats not what I asked.
My firewall/router isn't even openwrt, its Pfsense, I want the modem to run openwrt.
I am not 100% sure about terminology, but unless I am mistaken "full bridge" is when modem doesn't have an ip and accessible web ui?
I am aware that this is possible with stock firmware, my question is can this be done with the modem running openwrt (other then using vlans that is).

Just thought of another solution.
What about PPPoE relay?
Can this be used to turn DM200 into "sort of" a bridge?

In answer to an earlier query, these are only stats displayed through LuCI web ui
0test

DM200 can probably be configured to become a full bridge modem just like any other OpenWRT device with a Lantiq SoC with DSL interface. ie. let external router handle authentication (PPPoE login). It can't at present be completed using LuCI as explained by BigAIY2K if using instructions for Home Hub 5A.
What's not possible at the moment is how to also access LuCI web ui through same modem LAN port used for WAN traffic, as you can do with stock Netgear firmware. (without using VLAN tagging)

1 Like

Thats the stats available on DM200?
Not bad at all.
I wonder whether I can somehow grab it with a script for statistics purposes to be displayed with RRD graphs.
Regarding bridging, I guess VLAN is not an end of the world.
To sum it up I need two vlan interfaces both for Openwrt and my Pfsense box.
One for continued access to the web ui and the second for bridging to DSL interface, is that correct?

Yes, two VLANs on the same port should work (I use the same on a homehub 5a). Please note that you can get almost the same information via a terminal by using the following command:
/etc/init.d/dsl_control status

Here an example output from my link:

root@rbridged_modem_BTHH5A:~# /etc/init.d/dsl_control status
ATU-C Vendor ID:                          Infineon 178.3
ATU-C System Vendor ID:                   26,00,48,57,00,00,00,00
Chipset:                                  Lantiq-VRX200 Unknown
Firmware Version:                         5.8.1.5.0.7
API Version:                              4.17.18.6
XTSE Capabilities:                        0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x2
Annex:                                    B
Line Mode:                                G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Profile:                                  17a
Line State:                               UP [0x801: showtime_tc_sync]
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS):  Near: 53336 / Far: 612305
Errored seconds (ES):                     Near: 4 / Far: 28
Severely Errored Seconds (SES):           Near: 0 / Far: 15
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS):            Near: 0 / Far: 99
Unavailable Seconds (UAS):                Near: 34 / Far: 34
Header Error Code Errors (HEC):           Near: 0 / Far: 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P):        Near: 6 / Far: 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P):           Near: 0 / Far: 0
Power Management Mode:                    L0 - Synchronized
Latency / Interleave Delay:               Down: Interleave (8.0 ms) / Up: Interleave (6.0 ms)
Data Rate:                                Down: 51.390 Mb/s / Up: 10.048 Mb/s
Line Attenuation (LATN):                  Down: 11.2dB / Up: 10.4dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN):                Down: 11.2dB / Up: 10.3dB
Noise Margin (SNR):                       Down: 18.2dB / Up: 18.9dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (ACTATP):        Down: -4.7dB / Up: 14.3dB
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR):       Down: 103.658 Mb/s / Up: 29.600 Mb/s
Line Uptime Seconds:                      1735436
Line Uptime:                              20d 2h 3m 56s
root@ rbridged_modem_BTHH5A:~#
1 Like

You might want to base your script on /lib/functions/lantiq_dsl.sh, which is also used by /etc/init.d/dsl_control status.

Thanks for the heads up.
I haven't received my router yet.
Will definitely check it out once I get the goods.
Right now I am trying to obtain all the details from my current modem (VDSL2).
Not an easy task so far :slight_smile:

If you need help with getting your dm200 to sync look here http://whrl.pl/RfeaAI

1 Like

OK so I got my modem, and I am able to sync and dial just fine (using PPPoE on the device itself).
But it turns out there is no config for the switch.
Apparently the switch on it, is not supported just yet.
So I am unable to configure VLANs (unless I am mistaken?).
So what can I do to use it as a bridge and still have access to Luci?

Dazzsser, if I understand OneArmedMan's posts, he was able to setup vlans on the DM200, or was it only for his other box?
Were you able to implement his network config (including vlans) with the DM200?

I was using a w8980 and he was using his w8970, but yes i am able to implement the vlans in my config similar to the config he posted up

I am not sure how to translate his config to DM200.
His config includes port numbers which obviously aren't fit for DM200 since it only has one port.
Any chance you could post the config adopted for the DM200 hardware?
Also I understand, you are using a more up to date DSL firmware.
In your opinion is it worth it?
I am asking, because with the DM200 I am getting slightly lower sync and attainable speeds compared to ISP modem.
With ISP modem, I am getting 38/3.5 (my package deal is 40/4), and attainable at 40/11, while with DM200 I am getting 36/3.5 sync with 37 attainable.

yeah i can def help you out. can you post your network config
type the following command

cat /etc/config/network

and post the results here

Generally the lantiq chipset syncs lower than broadcome chipset (assuming your isp modem is using that chipset most likely) what model and brand is your isp modem?
I am finding that i sync lower with the w8980 (lantiq chipset - 103/44 sync with 109/53 attainable) than the TG799(Broadcom - 109/44 with 122/53 attainable). However the internet package i pay for is 100/40 and the ISP limits this speed within their network so it doesnt affect me. So i think trying to upgrade the DM200 to the latest dsl driver might help but is unlikely.

Here goes:

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fdbe:4494:9fdf::/48'

config atm-bridge 'atm'
        option payload 'bridged'
        option nameprefix 'dsl'
        option vci '8'
        option vpi '48'
        option encaps 'vc'

config dsl 'dsl'
        option ds_snr_offset '0'
        option annex 'b'
        option xfer_mode 'ptm'
        option line_mode 'vdsl'

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth0'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'

config device 'lan_dev'
        option name 'eth0'
        option macaddr '8c:3b:ad:14:a4:7a'

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'dsl0'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option ipv6 '1'
        option username 'SecretUser'
        option password 'SecretPassword'

config device 'wan_dev'
        option name 'dsl0'
        option macaddr '8c:3b:ad:14:a4:7b'

As you can see I have temporarily put in PPPoE just to make sure the modem not only synced but provided internet connectivity as well.
Regarding the sync speed, thats a bummer.
Indeed I have a broadcom (some chinese brand called T&W provided by my ISP).
I guess I will have a few words with my telco and try to see whether I can improve the line conditions a bit.
My package is 40/4 so it kind of sucks to lose even a megabit.