[UPDATE] LEDE 17.01.6 custom builds for TP-LINK WR841N(D) WR941N(D) WR743N(D) WR741N(D) WR740N(D) All Versions

I share my new custom build based on LEDE, it should be noted that I do not use scripts to automate my compilations, I only use the official guide published in OpenWrt

You can check my .bin files by doing a quick reverse engineering using the following guide
Viewing the contents of the router firmwares with binwalk

Tested on my WR740N(D) and WR741N(D) routers

If any of your supported routers has a CPU 400 MHz speed and present high loading (> 1) I suggest you disable services that do not use UPnP or Adblock for example :wink:

UPDATE
October 2, 2018

Routers Supported
  • TP-LINK WR740N v1
  • TP-LINK WR740N v2
  • TP-LINK WR740N v3
  • TP-LINK WR740N v4
  • TP-LINK WR740N v5
  • TP-LINK WR740N v6
  • TP-LINK WR741ND v1
  • TP-LINK WR741ND v2
  • TP-LINK WR741ND v4
  • TP-LINK WR741ND v5
  • TP-LINK WR743ND v1
  • TP-LINK WR743ND v2
  • TP-LINK WR841 v1.5
  • TP-LINK WR841 v3
  • TP-LINK WR841 v5
  • TP-LINK WR841 v7
  • TP-LINK WR841 v8
  • TP-LINK WR841 v9
  • TP-LINK WR841 v10
  • TP-LINK WR841 v11
  • TP-LINK WR841 v12
  • TP-LINK WR941ND v2
  • TP-LINK WR941ND v3
  • TP-LINK WR941ND v4
  • TP-LINK WR941ND v5
  • TP-LINK WR941ND v6
  • TP-LINK WR941ND v6(CN)

:: The Material Design theme was added and a new variations compiled ::

b3223fbe-a5de-4d51-a584-71822a118434

Distribution: Stable Release - LEDE 17.01.6

Privacy

Summary
  1. LuCI Minified and Material default theme
  2. Adblock (tiny wget support)
  3. DNSCrypt (OpeNIC default)
  4. SQM scripts
  5. UPnP
  6. Nano editor
  7. Without IPv6
  8. opkg removed
  9. Removed kernel debugging
  10. Stripped unnecessary exports from the kernel image and unnecessary functions from libraries
  11. Squashfs block size 512 Kib

> Go Down <

Complete

Summary
  3. DDNS (No IP scripts)
  4. SQM scripts extras
  5. UPnP
  6. With IPv6 enabled
  7. opkg removed
  8. Removed kernel debugging
  9. Stripped unnecessary exports from the kernel image and unnecessary functions from libraries
  10. Squashfs block size 512 Kib

> Go Down <

OpenVPN Build

Summary
  3. DDNS (No IP scripts)
  4. SQM scripts extras
  5. OpenVPN (mbedutls)
  6. With IPv6 enabled
  7. opkg removed
  8. Removed kernel debugging
  9. Stripped unnecessary exports from the kernel image and unnecessary functions from libraries
  10. Squashfs block size 512 Kib

> Go Down <

Lite Edition

Summary
  2. SQM scripts
  3. Nano editor
  4. Bridge mode support (proto-relay)
  5. Without IPv6
  6. opkg removed
  7. Removed kernel debugging
  8. Stripped unnecessary exports from the kernel image and unnecessary functions from libraries
  9. Squashfs block size 512 Kib

> Go Down <

[ Previous versions ]
September 5, 2018

2018-09-05_08-56

Distribution: Stable Release - LEDE 17.01.6

Full

• LuCI Minified and Bootstrap default theme
  • Adblock (SSL support)
  • DDNS (no_ip.com)
  • SQM scripts extras
  • UPnP
  • IPv6 / PPPoE
  • Removed kernel debugging
  • Stripped unnecessary exports from the kernel image and unnecessary functions from libraries
  • Squashfs block size 512 Kib

> Go Down <

OpenVPN Build

• OpenVPN (mbedtls)
  • Adblock (tiny wget support)
  • DDNS (No IP scripts)
  • SQM scripts extras
  • IPv6 / PPPoE
  • Stripped unnecessary exports from the kernel image and unnecessary functions from libraries

> Go Down <

[ Previous versions ]
September 7, 2018

Distribution: Stable Release - LEDE 17.01.5

Full

• Adblock (tiny wget support)
  • DDNS (No IP scripts)
  • QoS scripts
  • UPnP
  • IPv6 / PPPoE

> Go Down <

Can you tell me which version you used

• Privacy
  • Complete
  • OpenVPN
  • Lite Edition
  • Previous Versions

0 voters

Check my other compilations here
Optimized build LEDE 17.01 / OpenWrt 18.06 / libreCMC for "small devices" TP-LINK WR740N(D) WR741N(D) WR743N(D) WR841N/D) All Versions

4 Likes

@xhaka I like this way. New image bases on LEDE, not on openwrt. Thank you.

1 Like

I installed this into my WR841N v10 that had a Custom Build of the "OpenWRT 17.01.5 Stable Custom Build TP-LINK TL-WR841ND SQM" and now it does not turn on. All lights go on for just a second and turn off. How can I fix this?

@Lebzul
Hey, before installing any build, do you perform a previous factory reset?
Anyway I give you a tutorial to debrick your router here

Hey, I managed to recover and install this build. I did not factory reset it before installing this one. Thanks for the advice anyways.

Hello @xhaka.

I´m using your build in the past 5 days in all my routers (WR841 v8 and v9).
By far, it´s the best build that i ever used...
Almost 3 mb more ram available (512 squashs block size helps in the case), CPU use < 0.5, no disconnections.

Thank you very much.
Juliano

1 Like

Thank you very much.

Did you use which version? The lite?

Yes, I use the lite version

1 Like

Xhaka, the sqm used in the LITE version exactly the same as other more complete / heavy versions?

In the most complete or heavy versions is the same version of SQM, only SQM-extra-scripts are added (compatibility with IPv6 protocol)

1 Like

Ok is the same. Many thanks xhaka you solved all my doubts. I'll download it for testing.

I installed, however, I can not in any way make the PPPoE connection work, the internet does not work. I am using a D-link 2730r (BRIDGE) + router wr741ND with this build and PPPoE did not work. : //. Help ? My internet is ADSL. Before It Operated Normal with DD-WRT

I leave this video tutorial
Openwrt ADSL and WiFi Setup

I tested the Full version on the WR841N v9 (560 mhz). And the PPPoE connection worked perfectly with bridge + wr841n PPPoE modem. But when installing the LITE version, it does not work at all. I believe it is a BUG, ​​at least in those who have ADSL internet

If you review the changes in each custom build well, you will notice that the full version has IPv6 enabled and the Lite version only supports IPv4 that is the error with your ISP Turbonet

I am from Mexico and my ISP does not introduce the IPv6 protocol and I have no problems with the PPPoE + SQM Lite version

Really ... it must be some problem related to the ISP, I have no technical knowledge so it will stay that way. I just reported to give feedback here from Brazil. Thank you xhaka. sorry the bad english

If do not abuse your goodwill from xhaka, you've done an excellent job. It would be interesting in this case a LITE Edition with ipv6 enabled. Of course, if it does not do much work. Your LITE Edition is the only 512 block size build that performs best. My wr841 is definitely flying.

1 Like

For the sake of others who will install:

Used equipment: WR841 v9.3 (560 mhz)
Version Used: LITE 17.06.1
Configuration: Modem PPPoE + router WR841 in client dhcp with openwrt
SQM Testing / CPU Usage:
1 - Using CAKE, layer of cake: 0.8-1.40 cpu usage, when passing 1.0, began to affect ping on other computers.
2- Using fq_default, simple qos: 0.5-0.7 cpu usage, holding on average at 0.6, here the router had a much better stability.

All two tests were done in the following way: Download maximum of the connection with SQM + Youtube in 4K.

For who install, I recommend fq_default and not cake, as it causes high CPU usage.
Good luck to everyone and congratulations to @xhaka for providing custom firmware, this helps a lot. Sorry for bad english, I use google translate rs.

1 Like

@pedrohsk1
I still do not know whether to build a custom build LITE with IPv6. I know that several ISPs are already including it and it is the new technology.

According to the time line of LEDE have not planned to release a new version, I think it is the end of support for this version.

I'm cool, I do not like OpenWrt at all on its branch 18.06, LuCi since it is heavier for routers with 4MB flash, it does not leave space to install new packages and shredding it to make some space may be somewhat unstable. But in the end we hope that the changes for versions OpenWrt 19.01 are optimal and maybe decide to plan some custom build.

1 Like