Latest step by step guide for creating 4G/LTE router

I suppose that pfsense supports multiwan, so you could connect it directly on it and configure it as an alternative wan link.

My aim is to have a LAN with OpenWrt being the Internet gateway to the LAN. Not sure how to configure that in /etc/config/network. I'm really an expert with pfSense - I just use it. Initially I just want set things up so that I know how OpenWrt acts as a gateway for its own LAN.

Maybe eventually I'll try to get both pfSense and OpenWrt as providers of Internet access but that is not my immediate aim.

To have a standalone OpenWrt router that provides Internet to one (or more, with a switch) devices plugged into the Ethernet port, set lan back to the default where it has a static IP with no gateway or DNS specified. The gateway and DNS within OpenWrt will automatically be set up by reading DHCP from the modem. Turn the DHCP server back on on LAN so then it will offer configuration to any device you connect to the LAN side.

I don't know anything about pfsense but you should be able to use this configuration as a standby Internet connection by connecting it to an Ethernet port on the pfsense hardware and designating it as a second Internet connection.

1 Like

The HiLink is a router itself, not just a modem.
It is possible to reflash the dongle with stick firmware and then it can be used as a true modem (NCM).