Latest OpenWrt image bricks Netgear R8000

Hello,

I'm trying to install the latest official OpenWrt image (23.05.0) on my Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000, according to the official instructions. I can upload the install image in the upgrade tab of Netgear's web UI, I get no error messages, the progress bar goes all the way and the router reboots. Fine. But then I cannot access 192.168.1.1. ipconfig in Windows shows that no "Default Gateway" is configured, and the network shows up as "Unidentified Network". I cannot access it via SSH either, I get "unknown error", both using PuTTY and the Windows built-in SSH client. Pressing the reset button changes nothing. It's just totally inaccessible.

The only way to restore it is using nmrpflash, then I can flash the stock firmware again and get it working. But every time I try to flash OpenWrt, it bricks again. I have tried flashing OpenWrt both via the web UI and nmrpflash, with the same result.

What's wrong here? Has anyone else got it working? What would you try?

You may want to have a look at this...
There appears to be some sort of issue with R8000 and openwrt 23.05.0

Thank you. I tried with the OpenWrt 22.03.5 image instead and it worked like a charm. Let's see when we get a fix for the 23.05 branch.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.