Latest Official Builds - lagging. OpenWRT + LEDE = bad?

Where are the latest official release builds? Why have they stopped?

I was happy when the LEDE team broke away and started something new. OpenWRT had become stagnant and was falling way behind. The LEDE team was moving along briskly creating official releases on a (more or less) schedule.

Now that LEDE and OpenWRT are back together it seems we are back into that same stagnant rut. I see we have unofficial builds and it's up to 18.06'ish. But where are the official releases? It appears we are not keeping a schedule anymore.

I'm starting to fear I was correct about this (re)merger of OpenWRT and LEDE.

There is no lagging behind. 18.06 snapshot releases are available already.
Be patient and see the roadmap:

Thank you for the link. I'll believe it when I see it happen.
BTW, I'm not interested in snapshots. I'm interested in official releases on a timely schedule.

Regrettably, the question of a visible timeline gets swept under the rug every time it is brought up. This includes not just the immediate release, but what is expected to follow. "Where is 18.06?" and "What comes next and when?" both need to be addressed so that both devs and users can make plans.

The latest I recall was

Regrettably, the question of a visible timeline gets swept under the rug every time it is brought up. This includes not just the immediate release, but what is expected to follow. "Where is 18.06?" and "What comes next and when?" both need to be addressed so that both devs and users can make plans.

Terrible. Even if there is only one major version released per year at least maintenance releases should be attempted in between majors to squash bugs and ensure security. Snapshots are not maintenance releases.

Unfortunately, I see the old OpenWRT way of doing business creeping back in.

Considering it's only been a few months since the official merger, people really need to have some patience. There's been a lot going on behind the scenes, such as moving the wiki sites, moving the repos, etc.

18.06 has been up for a few weeks, so if users want a faster 18.06 stable build released, users need to test it and report bugs, else it will extend the time before it's available as a stable build or release candidate.

1 Like

Its location seems to be a secret - ie no links on the downloads page, so don't expect many people testing...

2 Likes

AFAIK, that's intentional until RC is out. Also, where's the will, there's a way. :wink:

If the point of the month-long delay was to provide testing, then it shouldn't have been and continue to be a well-hidden secret.

1 Like

If the point of the month-long delay was to provide testing, then it shouldn't have been and continue to be a well-hidden secret.

Excellent point.

Why isn't the 18.04 road map available from the home page?
Why isn't 18.04RC announced on the OpenWRT home page?
Why isn't the home page asking for testers?

Because the upcoming release is 18.06, not 18.04.

https://openwrt.org/releases/start -> Upcoming release: 18.06
https://openwrt.org/releases/18.06/start#roadmap -> 17 June 2018 - Release v18.06.0-rc1 test images available

Because it's currently 18.06-snapshot, not 18.06-rc1, I guess.

I had to view the source code of the OpenWrt home page to find this link
https://openwrt.org/releases/start

It's the "More..." link located in the paragraph just under "Stable Release builds". How many people would even know to click that? As others have clearly pointed out - practically hidden and secret.

Practically hidden, yes...

grafik
grafik

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.