Lantiq XRX200 Easybox 904xDSL and Speedport W 921v build

Until the Telekom no longer sold Speedports with
the inner workings of AVM, I had dealt with speed-2-fritz.
The firmware of the current t-com devices is often encrypted
or packed or both. I only dealt with alternative firmwares
this year for the EB904.

You have probably already figured out what I am writing.

The Arcadyan VGV952CJW33-E-IR

https://www.onlinekosten.de/forum/showthread.php?t=134416&page=4

(I've found this page only in german)

seems like chips like the TP-Link Archer VR200 / VR200v

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/vr200v

to have.

Here at least the firmware is not encrypted, is partly available
in the source code and is based on OpenWrt

https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/download/archer-vr200v/

(I've found this page only in german)

Maybe it is helpful

@Plonk34 Thank you so much for helping me in the 904xdsl main thread!
(Support for Easybox 904 LTE)

I did not even think it could be possible to use the dsl as ethernet wan port and it works perfectly! Did I miss a documentation about this or is the 904xdsl a rare exception (recent Avm devices got dsl and wan as separate ports)?

After i did the config as you wrote, everything was shown in the webinterface, but i guess it would not have worked via the webinterface alone (similar to the wifi)?

Now I got two more questions that are probably more specific to your build:

After rebooting, the lan port my PC was plugged in becomes disabled.
If I unplug it after issuing the reboot and replug it after it has finished booting, everything is fine.
Does this happen intentionally for some reason?

Is there a way to get a printserver working via Usb?

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install kmod-usb-printer p910nd luci-app-p910nd
Installing kmod-usb-printer (5.4.72-1) to root...
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/lantiq/xrx200/packages/kmod-usb-printer_5.4.72-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Unknown package 'p910nd'.
Unknown package 'luci-app-p910nd'.
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-printer:
 *      kernel (= 5.4.72-1-9e5db683a6c79158a9465aec1807cb9b)
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-printer.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package p910nd.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-p910nd.

@RENErica thanks for the link, whenn i have time i will take a look to find some usefull code for enabling FXO

yes the AVM Fritzbox 7490 generation, Arcadyan IADs from this time and TP-Link Archer VR200 are the same SoC, but AVM use the Dialog SC 14441 chip for Dect and POTS the China companys use the Lantiq xway SLIC-100er for POTS where the driver exist.

@Matzeee

I think it is a littlebit vendor specific i would say TP-Link = no, AVM = no, Arcadyan = yes, Zyxel = yes, you can take a look in ./target/linux/lantiq/files/arch/mips/boot/dts/lantiq/vr9_*.dts files and numbering the ethernet ports.
But the Easybox is a rare exception in general starting by the screen, using of two switches and the Gray Wan port that can connect "all". When i right see here https://www.dropbox.com/s/3w85q8fn4oi946i/Easybox_904_xdsl_phone_line
Than is behind the gray port a splitter so that the gray port are for FXO, ISDN-in, xDSL and ethernet.
I think it has goods and bats, because the stuff before DSL make the Signal not better, I have a Provider Fritzbox 7360v1, and the DSL Values a litlebit better.

I do not use the webinterface for config my network, but general the switch configuration should work, but the WLAN will not work because the exotic and old driver.

I do not really what you mean, in General it take a long time if the LAN of the Easybox up after reboot.

The reason why it is not working by you, is that you try the kernel modules from openwrt download page.
You can not mix kernelmodules from different kernels.
I have build and upload the complete reposatory, once that nowhere came to the depency hell, and of course because the different kernelbuild.
The whole reposatory is in the openwrt_build_* tar.xz archiv under the path ./3_repo/repo_root
Theroreticly you can copy it to / but you do not have enought space.
Copy only the etc diretory with opkg configuration and keys to your router root and copy the other to an USB stick ideal with f2fs (vfat or ntfs should work too) and modifie etc/opkg/customfeeds.conf with the right link or set a right link to your USB-stick
example:

ln -svf /mnt/usb1/opt/repo_owrt /opt/repo_owrt

Hi,
here is new Easybox904 and OpenWRT user. I found this box already flashed with OpenWRT on ebay kleinanzeigen.
It displays "OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r9245+78-4b403821c6 / LuCI Master (git-19.038.66435-4e5111e)"
I would like to use this router as a mesh repeater / wifi2lan bridge. my basic dsl modem is a fritzbox7490.
LAN and DCHP adresses are working, but I can not get wifi running. Network scan does not work. Is
there anything in need to change?

thanks in advance...
haha

Hi haha,
the wifi configuration with Luci does not work at the moment.
wifi must be set on the ssh command line under /etc/config/wireless

As far as I remember, the Easybox only runs as an AP.

the firmware also seems to be a bit older.
try to login to the box with

ssh root@IPaddress

and enter

uname -a

the firmware from Plonk34 at the top of the page has the version:

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r14721+16-4ff7bdfeeb

Linux OpenWrt 5.4.71 # 0 SMP Sun Oct 18 15:51:39 2020 with GNU / Linux

@haha
WLAN works in AP mode only. The driver is very old and not be configured via modern tools like iw, for this reason the webinterface will not work.
For getting WLAN:

1.) configure /etc/config/wireless
unmark option disabled '1'

option disabled '1'

or
option disabled '0

2.) be shure that in /etc/init.d/rt3883
load_module are inside start and boot

boot() {
        load_module
}

start() {
        load_module
}

3.)
test it via:
/etc/init.d/rt3883 restart

4.) look that the startpoint are late:
should be
START=95

5.) disable and enable it:
/etc/init.d/rt3883 disable; /etc/init.d/rt3883 enable

Guessed reason why it not start automatic (when /etc/init.d/rt3883 restart works):
The /etc/init.d/rt3883 must be restarted after the Network is working, because the Ralink RT3883 is a WiSoc which is connected via VLAN-3
For serveral reason the start up of this router is long.

@Plonk34

I've the same problem to connect to the box as Matzeee.
I waited about 45 minutes and none Connection was established after reboot.

After rebooting, the lan port my PC was plugged in becomes disabled.
If I unplug it after issuing the reboot and replug it after it has finished booting, everything is fine.
Does this happen intentionally for some reason?

I do not really what you mean, in General it take a long time if the LAN of the Easybox up after reboot.

It occurs on both Linux Mint 20, 19.3 live DVDs as well as under Windows 10 2004 and 20H2.
But only since kernel 5.4.x

If the /etc/config/network file exists when booting is between Easybox and PC no connection established.
A change of the LAN cable on the ports of the Box fixes the problem.

There is one onBoard ethernet card

"Intel (R) Ethernet Connection I217-V"

installed in my pc.

If I set Auto-Negotiation to

auto
or
1.0 Gb full-duplex

under Windows 10 20H2, no connection is established.

With 100Mb full-duplex the error no longer occurs with present /etc/config/network.

With Kernel 4.19.x this still had to be done without this Auto-negotiation setting works.

Great build, I'm happy that I can turn off the power LED, in previous builds this was not working properly. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Matzeee have the problem that try to load wrong kernel modules ?
When i say long time, imean max 10 minutes.

I try to confirm your Problem, but i can not.
Is this on all ports or only one ?
Can you post your /etc/config/network (pastebin or so ) ?

The /etc/config/network is posted here:

https://pastebin.com/mVkHWdvL

i think thats the default network file.
if file /etc/config/network deleted, it is automatically created new after reboot.
i've tried your build from the top of the page.
But with my snapshots do i've the same problem.

if you mean with all ports the yellow switch ports.
yes, on all ports of the switch.

I don't have a problem with that. DHCP is working correctly with Ethernet controller I217-V.

Try my new snapshots.

=> New OpenWrt (kernel 5.4.77 VPE) + Asterisk 18.0.1 LTS - Easybox 904 xDSL (github)

Backup link => Click on the button "Pobierz" (file openwrt-lantiq-xrx200-arcadyan_vgv952cjw33-e-ir-vpe-xdsl-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin)
The download is free.

Update:
=> New OpenWrt (kernel 5.4.116 VPE) - Easybox 904 xDSL (github)

Backup link => Click on the button "Pobierz" (file openwrt-lantiq-xrx200-arcadyan_vgv952cjw33-e-ir-vpe-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin)
The download is free.

=> New OpenWrt (kernel 5.4.116 SMP) - Easybox 904 xDSL (github)

Backup link => Click on the button "Pobierz" (file openwrt-lantiq-xrx200-arcadyan_vgv952cjw33-e-ir-smp-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin)
The download is free.

=> Perform the following procedures to upgrade the firmware.

Hey guys,

I try to use

Blockquote
https://github.com/zuzia-dev/Easybox-904xDSL/blob/master/openwrt-lantiq-xrx200-arcadyan_vgv952cjw33-e-ir-smp-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

unfortunately there is no DNS-request possible. I tried it with as xdsl-modem and over an other internet-router as gateway.

Actually I think there has to be some problems with DNSMASQC .

I hope someone could help how to setup correctly DNS-Server with this image. I get DNS-Servers from ISP and I tried to write some in /etc/resolv.conf (as I did successfull already before in other devices), but there is no dns-answer. From 1.1.1.1 I always get ping-requests back, but no DNS-request like google.com.

Hmm, yes i had have problems on a router cascade (2 routers) i have do some changes in my /etc/init.d/dnsmasq file but i have no idea what i have done, but here is it:

1 Like

Thanks Plonk. I switched already to another version, but will try the 21.02.x version soon and give a feedback if I can make some time for it... - I liked the adblock feature in your image and dyndns-services. in my current image there is no support for it...

Hey,

great work again!

Maybe someone could conclude what is working and what's still open with EB904. I think most people are dealing with that device and the new version from @Plonk34 ist just giving me 100 Mbit/s Ethernet, a lot of wifi-headaches, but no working USB-Wifi support or some other option to use wifi. There should also be something to be done for wifi using.

in some old versions of @Zuzia wifi was working fine out of UCI. No LUCI of course, but no headaches... also there has to be done some fix by myself as far as I remeber...

Anyway... I think the borders to get a full instruction and information is to high at the moment. - So maybe it's a good idea to get some conclusion.

Great breakthrough is, that is seems like offical openwrt 21.02.3 packages are working!

Have this been tested? I got a OEM easybox 904xdsl and tried to install it.
First i took the fullimage.img - Error, image not usable reported by the bootloader.
I tried this 3 times. Always bootloader error on the easybox 904xdsl screen after the image have been pulled by tftp.
Then i went to https://github.com/zuzia-dev/Easybox-904xDSL and download https://github.com/zuzia-dev/Easybox-904xDSL/blob/master/fullimage.img-SMP
This worked with the default recovery/bootloader. I had openwrt with luci running. I from there on then took the SMP-full image openwrt-21.02-snapshot-r0+16596-0f6034afb9-lantiq-xrx200-arcadyan_vgv952cjw33-e-ir-smp-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin and installed it. Afterwards i got a bootlooping easybox. Thats why i ask here if this have been even tested.

I had great success using https://github.com/zuzia-dev/Easybox-904xDSL. My two 904xDSL work nicely with openwrt now.

1 Like

WTF!

All ramdisk does not work since 2020 !
the erros is:

reset button pressed --> 3
reset button pressed --> 4
reset button pressed --> 5
reset button pressed --> 6
reset button pressed --> 7
enter rescue process ...
rtl8367rb init done ....
Uncompressing LCD bootup images ............... 
NAND read: device 0 offset 0x0000000004700000, size 0x0000000000300000
 0x300000 bytes read: OK
Using vr9 Switch device
TFTP from server 192.168.2.100; our IP address is 192.168.2.1
Filename 'fullimage.img'.
Load address: 0x86000000
Loading: #################################################################
         #################################################################
         ###############################################
done
Bytes transferred = 4498410 (44a3ea hex)
verify firmware validation: fileaddr = 0x86000000, filesize = 4498410
0x8644a090 magic number not found

I have no idea why
Most cases i test with tftpboot by loading the image to RAM, this does work.
Somtimes i test with the reset button and once i have use with the original bootloader like the description.
When i install openwrt on my 2. Box
(i can/want only update the original bootloader once per Box)

I am whery frustrated i have no idea why it does not work
I recommend https://github.com/zuzia-dev/Easybox-904xDSL/raw/master/fullimage.img-VPE
for using to install

1 Like

For Polish and German users, a new version of OpenWrt 21.02 SMP and VPE with default support for ADSL/VDSL. Not included encrypted DNS. System now supports IPv6 addresses. Asterisk is not installed by default. List of useful commands: http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/system/commands
Default password for both Wi-Fi networks: WiFipassword
Passwords to be changed only via the console. The package repository is accessible remotely via Github.

Link: https://github.com/zuzia-dev/Easybox-904xDSL-repo-source#openwrt-2102--with-kernel-54x-for-easybox-904-xdsl-vgv952cjw33-e-ir

Installation via Luci or console.

The images are fully compatible with Recovery:

1 Like

Hey @Zuzia, great work! I flashed your current image and was really positive suprised about the direct software management! It seems like a mainline device and were able to install new packages.

Unfortunately I don't understand why the device is not pingable. The web surface and ssh work great, but no ping response, even when I reflash and give different lan ip addresses to the device.

Another strange behavior is that the 5GHz wifi works great with a different edited password via ssh, but no chance for 2,4 GHz. It is discovered, but I get always no login possible with different devices...

So do you have any idea what is wrong and could it have something to do with wpad?