Lantiq vrx200 xDSL firmware recommendation thread

Replying to myself here. Using blob 5.7.8.12.0.7, a month later, I did get 1 or 2 disconnects (on stock firmware I had 6 months uptime), but more annoyingly, I was losing downstream speed gradually. I was able to get 90 Mbps iperf3 TCP performance about a month ago, but it dropped to 80 Mbps, even when switching to another blob, power off/on cycles, etc.
So for measure, I have re-installed the ZTE H369A ("Experiabox v10") monstrosity, and immediately it synced at much higher speeds:

Link Status Up
Showtime 50 h 45 min 17 s
Modulation Type VDSL
Actual Rate(Up/Down) 32313/107674 kbps
Attainable Rate(Up/Down) 32313/109699 kbps
Noise Margin(Up/Down) 5/5.8 dB
Line Attenuation(Up/Down) 1.6/4.9 dB
Output Power(Up/Down) -6.2/12.5 dBm
Data Path(Up/Down) Interleaved/Interleaved
Interleave Depth(Up/Down) 4/8
Interleave Delay(Up/Down) 0/0 ms
INP(Up/Down) 80/79 symbols

Which translates to 97+ Mbps iperf3 downstream even on double NAT.
To me this sadly confirms that OpenWRT VDSL just isn't working for me. I have found a Draytek Vigor 130 for cheap that comes with 8 different firmware/blob combinations that they have certified with ISPs in various countries. My plan is to use it in bridge mode in front of a NanoPI R2S running OpenWRT. I will report here in the future for reference.

I can highly recommend the Draytek Vigor 130 that I got for €25. With "modem 8" firmware I am getting even better speeds than the ISP-provided (KPN Wholesale Netherlands) ZTE H369A / Experiabox v10. Path mode is even "fast" instead of "interleaved" with the ZTE. But no OpenWRT obviously.

> vdsl status
vdsl status
  ---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
   Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          :108673000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 31385000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      :109482500 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 31385000 bps
   DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode         :        Fast
   DS Interleave Depth     :        1       US Interleave Depth  :        1
   NE Current Attenuation  :        9 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        5  dB
   DS actual PSD           :    -5.-7 dB    US actual PSD        :    11. 8  dB
   NE CRC Count            :        0       FE CRC Count         :       79
   NE ES Count             :        0       FE  ES Count         :        8
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        1
   ITU Version[0]          : fe004452       ITU Version[1]       : 41590000
   VDSL Firmware Version   : 05-07-09-0F-01-07   [with Vectoring support]
   Power Management Mode   : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
   Test Mode               : DISABLE
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
   Far Current Attenuation :        8 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        5  dB
   CO ITU Version[0]       : b5004244       CO ITU Version[1]    : 434db1bf
   DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < BDCM >

I have been going through some other forums as well and found that many users in BE don't necessarily end up with the same line parameters, although they are using a similar blob and firmware. So how the line params are negotiated seems to depend on the DSLAM you are connected to.
I also found that OpenWrt has disabled some functionality in the driver related to DELT. I read up on this and it seems to be a monitoring mechanism used by the DSLAM to evaluate line conditions. So it might be worth to try and enable it to see if that increases the stability (I think it could if DSLAM uses this)? I have also enabled some other counters in the driver which could be nice to add to my dashboard.

Also after enabling bitswap I have at least an uptime twice as good as before. Initially I couldn't stay online longer than a day. Right now it's online longer than 2 days and counting. Most of the interruptions seem to be related to a huge increase in ReTx error counters. So I guess this indicates that there is a huge interference on the line from time to time.

I read in different forums that powerline adapters can be a source of interference (and I'm using one myself that has cabling near the dsl line). So I might also try to move it elsewhere and see if that affects ReTx error counters.

2 Likes

maurer Has firmware version 5.8.1.8.1.6 been stable for you? Im with TalkTalk using an fitzbox at the moment with the same vendor ID as you with a broadcom 192.28) so more then likely using a huawei 288 street cabinet housing type

DSL Info (from fitzbox OS not on openwrt yet)
Broadcom 192.28 - VDSL2 17a (ITU G.993.2)

Receive Direction Send Direction
G.INP on off
Seamless rate adaptation off off
Bitswap on on
G.Vector off off
Carrier record A43 A43

If IFTN / Infineon vendor ID is showing is an ECI cabinet for UK

5.8.1.8.1.6 was and still is rock stable

1 Like

Did anyone notice the DSL uptime drift (or lack of it) with different firmwares?

I'm currently using the one provided by default and I had to multiply the uptime value by around 1,0235 to get the correct uptime, so I'd like to know if it's specific to the firmware version or a general issue with xDSL modem in SoC?

Discussion: DSL Line Uptime lagging

Can you tell me which package contains the file you patched please?

Select the ltq_dsl_collectd package in my packages repository clone. It should then add the required script to your build to send this output to collectd.

If you read the metrics on a remote collectd host then don't forget to add the types I added for the G.INP counters, otherwise this might not work.

tplink,tdw8970
OpenWrt 19.07.3 r11063-85e04e9f46
ATU-C Vendor ID:                          26,00,48,49,53,49,34,12
Firmware Version:                         5.7.8.12.0.7
Annex:                                    B
Line Mode:                                G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Line Uptime:                              24d 22h 40m 15s

2 Likes

impressive uptime.. I never got past 10 days. What are your spectrum parameters?

Nothing special, everything at default.

Mmmh, this decodes to & HISI4, the middle section HISI, probably denotes Hisilicon, aka Huawei?

yes, it's Huawei.

1 Like
tplink,tdw8970
OpenWrt 19.07.2 r10947-65030d81f3
ATU-C Vendor ID:                          Infineon 209.128
Firmware Version:                         5.8.1.8.1.6
Line Mode:                                G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Line Uptime:                              4d 17h 16m 19s

I have submitted a PR to enable ReTx counters and add some extra line stats, lets see how this goes.

1 Like
        "model": {
                "id": "tplink,tdw8970",
                "name": "TP-LINK TD-W8970"
        },
ATU-C Vendor ID:                          Broadcom 178.26
ATU-C System Vendor ID:                   Broadcom
Chipset:                                  Lantiq-VRX200
Firmware Version:                         5.8.1.5.0.7
API Version:                              4.17.18.6
Line Mode:                                G.993.5 (VDSL2 with down- and upstream vectoring)
Profile:                                  17a
Trellis:                                  Down: 1 / Up: 1
G.INP:                                    Down: 1 / Up: 1
Bitswap:                                  Down: 1 / Up: 1
Virtual noise:                            Down: 1 / Up: 1

Rock stable.

2 Likes

Has anyone tested different firmwares on new Broadcom 194.80? I'm testing 5.9.1.4.0.7 on a BT Homehub V5A right now...

bt,homehub-v5a
OpenWrt 19.07-SNAPSHOT r11261-3f5fecfd33
ATU-C Vendor ID:                          Broadcom 194.80
Firmware Version:                         5.9.1.4.0.7
Line Mode:                                G.993.5 (VDSL2 with down- and upstream vectoring)

Just trying to extract "filesystem.image" from the latest Labor image of Fritz box 7490 (build 85134) via 7z and while extracting I get the following: "No files to process"
Nothing is extracted to the folder.
Does anyone know if something changed recently in terms of the image structure?
I wanted to check if a newer version of the lantiq xdsl firmware exists or if it is still 5.9.1.4.0.7 - normally AVM is/was the place to look for a newer version.

AFAIK you need to unsquashfs4-avm-be the .image, also binwalk works better than 7z sometimes.. some reference here and here.

1 Like

I just found this thread and I'm wondering:

Is that still your recommended firmware for a 3370?

I just switched from a somewhat stable TL-W8970B on 100/40 VDSL line to the fritzbox and I am having a hard time finding a firmware that does not reconnect every 15 minutes... Right now I am on the one from inside https://download.avm.de/archive/fritz.box/fritzbox.wlan_3370/firmware/deutsch/ and it seems stable for now, but the speed is disappointing. For what it's worth: with the TP-Link I had 5.7.6.A.0.7 and it worked okay.