LAN stops working every now and then

I was using OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 on TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2 for a long time. Since LEDE is a successor of OpenWRT I tried the latest stable build LEDE 17.01.2 and almost immediately got this bug. Built-in switch fails about every 10 minutes with all Ethernet ports. So no WAN connection, no LAN connection, the only way is to reload switch configuration through wi-fi or power cycle the whole device.

OpenWRT on WR1043NDv4 doesn't really work. There is no 15.05.1 release, only trunk.

Can you try flashing original firmware but portugal version and then LEDE?
Can you also provide a list of custom packages you installed onto the router? I never got a fail of switch so soon after flashing LEDE.

In followup, My static NIC connections would become unresponsive on a daily basis. When I disabled IPV6 and manually set my WAN dns servers the problem went away. I have not had an unresponsive connection in over 2 weeks. Running 17.01.2/ar71xx on a Trendnet TEW-732BR.

I'm talking about TL-WR1043Nv2, v3 and TL-WR1045N, they have some hardware differences from TL-WR1043Nv4 and they are supported by OpenWRT 15.05.1 release which works well.

Packages in overlay:
chat
comgt
ip
ipset
iptables-mod-conntrack-extra
iptables-mod-ipopt
kmod-crypto-aead
kmod-crypto-ecb
kmod-crypto-hash
kmod-crypto-manager
kmod-crypto-pcompress
kmod-crypto-sha1
kmod-gre
kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra
kmod-ipt-ipopt
kmod-ipt-ipset
kmod-iptunnel
kmod-lib-textsearch
kmod-mppe
kmod-nf-nathelper-extra
kmod-nfnetlink
kmod-usb-acm
kmod-usb-serial-wwan
kmod-usb-serial
libmnl
luci-app-mwan3
luci-app-samba
luci-proto-3g
mwan3
pptpd
samba36-server

For DNS I actually use DNSCrypt-Proxy.
I'm not sure if it's possible to set it up manually for WAN interface.

I was given the following in another thread

@r43k3n Have you ever tried disabling IPv6?

No, I haven't
I wouldn't know where to start.

About disabling IPv6:

Because you use it too extensively, or because you haven't yet thought about using any major search engine? Leading to e.g. https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/network_configuration

Because I haven't actually thought about disabling it, nor did I need to search for information about how to do it. I don't have the router anymore and I'm running the OpenWRT 15.05.1 on an older unit. No problem there.

@pita @r43k3n pita's problem happen to me to. and ping ip address not work too.

Did you try to disable IPv6 and see if the problem persists?

I didn't enable ipv6 on my system

Is this thread even alive?
Same / similar Problem here. Running
Reboot (17.01.2, r3435-65eec8bd5f)
on three WNDR4300 in a wired mesh environment (using ethernet cabeling as mesh backbone).
From time to time wired clients don't get there IP via dnsmasq, while WLAN clients are happily provisioned with IPs.
But: When setting IPs, gateway, DNS etc. for the wired clients manually, everything is running fine again. So...it could be a problem with dnsmasq.
First shot is reducing the MTU. IPv6 is disabled. I'll report my progess...

Greetz from Germany

Did disabling IPv6 solved your problem?

Had similar issues with OpenWRT AA and BB versions on TL-WR703N. Tried different versions and stuff. Now I am trying to disable serial console, as it might throttle the kernel when outputting something over serial just 115.2kbps. Try add kernel.printk = 0 to /etc/sysctl.conf as the instructions in below document says. This should disable console output over serial, unless you are debugging or know you use this, you don't need this.

Appriciate feedback if this happens to help for you.

Instructions for terminating console: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/terminate.console.on.serial

Hi all.

I also have this issues and today I removed ipv6 related packages and removed wan6 settings from /etc/config/network.
I'll update this post with info if this resolves this problem in the coming days.

edit: Disabling IPv6 doesn't resolve this issue.

It seems, that they found the solution for the problem (rx buffer stall)
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/743498/
After all it was a hardware/silicone error, where small packets caused the stalling when hw. checksum offload was enabled as i understand.

thread they came up with the solution: https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=762

1 Like

WR1043NDv4 was discontinued in my country.
I guess they realised there was a hardware issue with it.

I thought they were discontinued b/c v5 is out since late 2017 (at least in Austria)!?