L2TP VPN server for OpenWrt?

I am trying to do the same.

I am now running PPTP as it is the only option provided by the ISP router.
But now I have a router with OpenWRT and wish to install L2TP.
I have OpenVPN installed in a NAS but the NAS I don't want to have it allways on.
Having the router and the ISP router allways on is enough, and it seems a better idea to let the router all the work.

OpenVPN is great, safe and works. I use it in my laptop.
But sometimes I need a quick access from other PC or device that has not openVPN installed.

Windows and Android all have PPTP (no good for safety) and L2TP. It seems L2TP is quite secure.

I have seen that there are several l2tp related packages in openWRT, but I could not find clear instructions about which one to install, and how to configure it. Some seem to be deprecated.

Which is the correct one to install (over ethernet wire)?

Is there a LUCI interface for it?

I am running openwrt 18.06

@ariznaf, did you find a solution?

No, I could not install l2tp.

I am trying wireguard, but could not get it working yet.

L2tp would have the advantage of being able to connect with just a paswword.

what is so hard about it ?
just update to master/latest snapshot, install libreswan and xl2tpd set a psk password in ipsec.secrets and a user and password in chap secrets in ppp, also a tunnel ip in xl2tpd, there are tons of examples on the internet I think there are on youtube also, you'll have to take care in firewall of ipsec udp 500 and 4500 and l2tp udp port 1701, libreswan has the default settings made for l2tp
also manually define ppp0,ppp1 etc in a vpn zone or lan zone

Follow this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/openwrt/comments/7zqcde/how_to_setup_l2tpipsec_server_on_openwrt/dyfh4xi/
Some guy built luci ipsec server package, so you just need to download it and install with opkg.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.