Kong pro firmware for IPQ806x (R7500, R7800, EA8500, ...)

Even with SQM I haven't been able to obtain an A+ rating, however there might be other benefits to using SQM with cake if you enable the ack-filter option. Because your ratio of download to upload speed is so bad, 20:1 you might benefit from ack-filter because your upload could get bogged down sending acks since it's so small compared to the download. More info here stating that anything over a 15:1 ratio can benefit from ack-filter: PSA: sqm, cake, nat, and bufferbloat tuning : HomeNetworking (reddit.com)

@nihilt I too am interested in this... I performed a clean flash and still ended up with a high .40 idle usage...

libiwinfo-lua - 2021-04-30-c45f0b58-1
libiwinfo20210430 - 2021-04-30-c45f0b58-1

Thank You! And for great build :slight_smile:

Updated my R7800 this morning using the sysupgrade file plus did a reset and after a couple of hours devices lost internet but still connected to WiFi and then Router rebooted it's self a couple of mins later. Everything is back up and running after reboot so will keep an eye on it

Did another reset and everything looks like it's working fine now been up about 18hr now without any problems

@cchhat01 I ended up reverting to the nss build prior to 05-09-21 the kernel version is 5.4.110 and that resolved my issues if that helps..

hi came from DD-WRT using Kong firmware for many years, it was most stable firmware i ever use, till now , after i read a news about WIFI Vulnerability to FragAttack attacks , so i decided to find latest update Kong Firmware and finally i found this thread.

• iam new in openwrt is there any guide to flash from my current firmware to openwrt ?
  • is current latest Kong Firmware is already include the fix for FragAttack?
  • is it for now is too rush to chase the fixing of the FragAttack ? or need to wait till the fix is stable ?

I cannot answer the last 2 questions, but coming from ddwrt, you have to TFTP flash the router.
[https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/r7800]
Flash the OpenWRT 'Install image' then after that you can flash the 'sysupgrade' image using the GUI. I do not use Windows, so I had to dig a bit further to use tftp form Linux, but it is very similar.

same to me, the only problem i have is the random reboots, i can confirm that youtube and torrent are the main problem which causes them, i have it for over 2 years and insist on DDwrt and openWRT, both the same way, i have Linksys EA8500 and just came from a random reboot caused by a youtube video when i skipped it a bit!!!

Try latest nss build, it comes with a patch, that might fix the random reboot, which can occur if there is a lot of udp traffic. It might also be possible to stop the reboot, by telling your torrent client to use tcp only.

The fix is not yet backported to the 19 build.

1 Like

thank you! i will try it now and will inform you about the results!!

somerthing is going on with nss builds, tried clean install over kong19 build and it didnt booted, then flashed back factory 169978 and tried nss-factory over it but with the same results, didnt booted and after long time went back to old partition!

Only flashed it to R7800, might be an issue with the EA8500. My EA8500 has a broken radio, it doesn't broadcast anymore. Doesn't matter what firmware I use.

Update: I think I know what's wrong, walked through the commits (https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/ac25b64350ef2b40bf975e617a3a1b33959a697e), we had this before. And again, they brought back CONFIG_CMDLINE_OVERRIDE=y saying that Cmdline override patch was fixed.

I have uploaded new bins, that should fix boot on the EA8500.

1 Like

@KONG nslookup is not working both current and previous nss builds r16868 & r16991

nss.qos is broken

iptables-mod-physdev is still missing

Thank you.

Just checked, I forgot to add iptables-mod-physdev I only added the kernel module, but not ticked the iptables module, fixed it now. Going to flash test it and then upload the new bins.

Regarding nslookup. nslookup is currently not included in the firmware or packages, if you have it, then it is some leftover from another install.

I just added bind-nslookup to my repo, just run:

opkg update && opkg install bind-nslookup

1 Like

nice! going to flash it now, will give feedback!! Thank you!

Tried your fixed nss firmware 21/6 on my EA8500 but same as yesterday still not booting,tried from linksys 169978 to nss-factory.

21/06 NSS build appears to be working well on my R7800. Thanks Kong.

i think the problem is EA8500, has many issues, when its CPU stresses it reboots when it has high memory usage hungs up, whatever Kong to do, its not in his hand to fix all those Linksys hardware problems!! i will wait for the next build and skip this one! i am sure mr Kong will do very good job!!

I'm going to attach serial unit later on to my EA8500 and then do a flash. Right now I'm testing another R6700V2 build with MediaTek 7621 Soc.

Update:

Just flashed my latest NSS build.

No issue as far as I can see, flashed to both partitions. Ignore the wrong timestamp, wan wasn't attached to it when I did the screen. It is attached now. Only thing I see right now, that there is some problem with nss qos.

Oh boy, not sure when this happened, but in my config nss-ifb is not enabled. Thus no wotking nss-qos on any of my nss builds right now:-) Will update builds later on.