.ko file not being compiled after adding Kernel Package

I'm trying to add support for the Terratec Cinergy TC2 DVB-T/C USB stick, so that I can use it in TVHeadend, by adding the kernel modules.

I've created the following kernel package configuration:

define KernelPackage/terratec-tc2
  SUBMENU:=$(VIDEO_MENU)
  TITLE:=terratec tc2 support
  DEPENDS:=+kmod-i2c-mux +kmod-input-core +kmod-video-core +kmod-nls-base +kmod-regmap-i2c +kmod-usb-core +kmod-video-videobuf2 +kmod-video-uvc
  KCONFIG:= \
	CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_SI2157 \
	CONFIG_DVB_SI2168 \
	CONFIG_DVB_USB_AF9035 \
	CONFIG_DVB_USB_V2 \
	CONFIG_DVB_CORE \
	CONFIG_RC_CORE
  FILES:= \
	$(LINUX_DIR)/drivers/media/tuners/si2157.ko \
	$(LINUX_DIR)/drivers/media/dvb-frontends/si2168.ko \
	$(LINUX_DIR)/drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb-v2/dvb-usb-af9035.ko \
	$(LINUX_DIR)/drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb-v2/dvb_usb_v2.ko \
	$(LINUX_DIR)/drivers/media/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko \
	$(LINUX_DIR)/drivers/media/rc/rc-core.ko
  AUTOLOAD:=$(call AutoProbe,rc-core dvb-core dvb_usb_v2 dvb-usb-af9035 si2168 si2157)
endef

define KernelPackage/terratec-tc2/description
 Kernel modules for Terratec TC2
endef

$(eval $(call KernelPackage,terratec-tc2)) 

(See commit here

I enabled the package using make menuconfig. When compiling however, I get the following error:

make[2]: Entering directory '/media/brouwer/data_volume/personal/repositories/openwrt/package/kernel/linux'
ERROR: module '/media/brouwer/data_volume/personal/repositories/openwrt/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/linux-5.4.34/drivers/media/tuners/si2157.ko' is missing.
modules/video.mk:1054: recipe for target '/media/brouwer/data_volume/personal/repositories/openwrt/bin/targets/ramips/mt7621/packages/kmod-terratec-tc2_5.4.34-1_mipsel_24kc.ipk' failed
make[2]: *** [/media/brouwer/data_volume/personal/repositories/openwrt/bin/targets/ramips/mt7621/packages/kmod-terratec-tc2_5.4.34-1_mipsel_24kc.ipk] Error 1

It seems like none of the .ko files of the newly added package, are being compiled in the linux compile.

I've already tried rebuilding after a make distclean, to no avail.

I've checked/noted the following:

1. I've checked the Kconfig dependencies for the 'CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_SI2157' here: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/6f0d349d922ba44e4348a17a78ea51b7135965b1/drivers/media/tuners/Kconfig#L251 . These are CONFIG_MEDIA_SUPPORT and CONFIG_I2C, which should be convered by the kmod-video-core and kmod-i2c-mux packages in the dependencies of my kernel package.
  2. After the make target/linux/compile, I've checked the .config file in '/media/brouwer/data_volume/personal/repositories/openwrt/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_mt7621/linux-5.4.34', but the 'CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_SI2157' doesn't seem to be added here, hence why it's probably not compiled. Note: It's properly set in .config.old, so it's there initially, but during the build process, the .config get's updated, and it gets removed somehow

Does anyone have an idea why the 'CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_SI2157' does not end-up in the linux .config, and the kernel module is not built?

I think I have the same problem but with the quantenna driver (qtnfmac)? I'm not sure my config is right. but at the end the *.ko file is also missing and "empty packages" will be build.

maybe it has the same cause? if not please ignore ...

no relocatable entry for qtnfmac:

rstrip.sh: /home/user/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x_generic/packages/ipkg-arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/kmod-net-rtl8192su/lib/modules/5.4.35/r8712u.ko: relocatable
Packaged contents of /home/user/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x_generic/packages/ipkg-arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/kmod-net-rtl8192su into /home/user/openwrt/bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/packages/kmod-net-rtl8192su_5.4.35-1_arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4.ipk
Packaged contents of /home/user/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x_generic/packages/ipkg-arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/kmod-qtnfmac into /home/user/openwrt/bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/packages/kmod-qtnfmac_5.4.35-1_arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4.ipk
rstrip.sh: /home/user/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x_generic/packages/ipkg-arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/kmod-ieee802154/lib/modules/5.4.35/ieee802154.ko: relocatable
rstrip.sh: /home/user/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x_generic/packages/ipkg-arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/kmod-ieee802154/lib/modules/5.4.35/ieee802154_socket.ko: relocatable
Packaged contents of /home/user/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x_generic/packages/ipkg-arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/kmod-ieee802154 into /home/user/openwrt/bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/packages/kmod-ieee802154_5.4.35-1_arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4.ipk

generating empty package entry:

SHELL= flock /home/user/openwrt/tmp/.root-copy.flock -c 'cp -fpR /home/user/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x_generic/packages/.pkgdir/kmod-net-rtl8192su/. /home/user/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/root-ipq806x/'
touch /home/user/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/root-ipq806x/stamp/.kmod-net-rtl8192su_installed
WARNING: kmod-qtnfmac is not available in the kernel config - generating empty package <================================================================ look here 
mkdir -p /home/user/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/root-ipq806x/stamp

SHELL= flock /home/user/openwrt/tmp/.root-copy.flock -c 'cp -fpR /home/user/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x_generic/packages/.pkgdir/kmod-qtnfmac/. /home/user/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/root-ipq806x/'
touch /home/user/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/root-ipq806x/stamp/.kmod-qtnfmac_installed
echo "kmod-qtnfmac" >> /home/user/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/pkginfo/linux.default.install
mkdir -p /home/user/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/root-ipq806x/stamp

SHELL= flock /home/user/openwrt/tmp/.root-copy.flock -c 'cp -fpR /home/user/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x_generic/packages/.pkgdir/kmod-ieee802154/. /home/user/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/root-ipq806x/'
touch /home/user/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/root-ipq806x/stamp/.kmod-ieee802154_installed

(Have more infos here in the post in the section "to 2:" Large flash and qtnfmac driver for R7500v1 )

greetings

Did anyone found out whats going on with the .ko files missing? This is happening with any package I'm trying to build.

I resolved a similar problem with:

make defconfig clean
make target/linux/compile
make package/kernel/linux/compile

See also: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/single.package#kernel_modules

2 Likes