Kernel Versions

Hi everyone!

I'd like to ask you guys for your opinion on something. I think we should have a page where we show the status of each target and their respective kernel versions. What do you think? I believe that way it would be easier to get an idea of the overall status. There we could also have a space where we could say why they're not supported by a newer kernel, if it's being dropped, if it's upgrade is in progress, etc.

What do you guys think?

https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/start

@hauke Can the Kernel version list you showed in https://www.mail-archive.com/openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org/msg49755.html be automatically created?

If yes, we could easily integrate it in the wiki.

Unless automatically generated, it will be as out of date and useless as https://openwrt.org/docs/platforms/start

It's unclear to me the benefit, as:

• Most end users don't know what a kernel version means to them
  • People who know should be following the openwrt-devel mailing list

The information is readily available from source on a given branch:

$ fgrep -r KERNEL_PATCHVER target/linux/
target/linux/brcm63xx/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/arc770/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/zynq/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/octeon/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/gemini/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/ar71xx/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/tegra/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER := 4.19
target/linux/cns3xxx/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/kirkwood/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/ath79/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/x86/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/imx6/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/layerscape/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/ar7/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.9
target/linux/apm821xx/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/ath25/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/samsung/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/mpc85xx/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/brcm2708/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/rb532/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/mxs/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/sunxi/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/omap/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/lantiq/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/orion/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.9
target/linux/ipq40xx/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/armvirt/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/archs38/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/mvebu/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/malta/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/at91/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/uml/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/ramips/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/octeontx/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/ipq806x/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/brcm47xx/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/ixp4xx/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.9
target/linux/mediatek/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/mediatek/mt7629/target.mk:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.19
target/linux/pistachio/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/oxnas/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
target/linux/bcm53xx/Makefile:KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14
1 Like

I haven't found that page in my search thanks!

Automatically I don't think so, but from the link provided by @lleachii each target has a maintainer assigned, so its not hard for each maintainer when upgrading a target to change the kernel version in the wiki, right? Either way I can be the one keeping it updated.

Each maintainer should do the updates themselves, I'll try and update it whenever I can.

This isn't just a simple documentation, it's a way for everyone to have access to all the info about the project without needing to search all over the git.

In a separate subject, the website is pretty confusing, information is hidden and hard to get to and it's design is outdated. But I'm not here just to complain but also to help improving everything.

That page is every bit as believable as 6 month release cycle (+ 6 months from date of creating release branch) - “no matter what” approach

Did you see the link on each page where it shows the last Git commits?

This list will show the last kernel bump, hence your answer.

My apologies, I conflated the targets page with the target-maintainer page.

Edit: Though https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/start does seem to be missing information for ath79, one of the most-widely used targets of OpenWrt.

1 Like

@hauke Nevermind, got it.

Should anybody feel the need to have the kernel version information in the wiki, here it is:
https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/target_kernelversions (can be updated automatically, without interaction of a maintainer).

@tiagogaspar8: Is that what you were looking for?

2 Likes

Can be in the future? Or it is?

Yes it is, almost. The page should also contain the kernel version for each of the supported major versions, in this case 17, 18 and soon to be 19. After it's support ends they can be removed from the page, which again, I can do.
Also thanks for the attention and help doing this! :smiley:

The thread title should be kernel versions and not verions.

1 Like

But that depends on target.

I would also suggest that the Maintainers' concept of "If your target isn't on Linux X.Y or later, it will likely be dropped from the next release." be added to the page.

I've at least read that 4.19 is one proposal for 20.01, as well as 5.4.

I've also read that ar7, ixp4xx, and orion are on 4.9 and are candidates for removal.

Updated: https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/target_kernelversions

Like this?

4 Likes

A possible, future enhancement would be to keep the targets aligned in rows.

I knew that request would come sooner or later, because I had similar thoughts too :), but decided for the current solution since that was easier and faster to implement.

What you can see on that page is basically what you can see here:

Technically speaking, just creating a new link for each new release would require the least efforts (but would leave you with separate pages for each release).

Transforming that data into a nice single table as proposed would really be ideal IMO, but requires some more effort.

If someone knowledgeable could write a shellscript or some php that scrapes the data and arranges it in wiki syntax (in a single table!), that would be great!

That would be a great idea! That would encourage developers and maintainers to keep their targets updated. That would also imply that the "generic" kernel should be maintained by someone.

Yeah! Can't you make one table that has something like (now that I've read I don't believe you can ahahah):

target | 17.01 | 18.06 | 19.07 | snapshots
-------------------------------------------
mvebu  |  4.4  | 4.14  | 4.14  | 4.19

Well I have no knowladge of php, but I have someone who does I'll see if he can do it.
Just another question, if I could provide a new page design for OpenWRT would there be any change of using it?
Also the table can be static, I can maintain it. I don't have any intentions of dropping OpenWRT and will always be here to help maintain it so I can help as needed. :smiley:

Done, you got a message. (I hope I got the wiki syntax right.)

7 Likes

Let's be careful with the terminology as there are 18.06 snapshots, 19.07 snapshots and master snapshots.

I believe that you intend to reference to "master snapshots", but that should be said clearly.

3 Likes

You are absolutely right!

1 Like