Kea-dhcp4 and kea-dhcp6

Hey everyone!

I have a issue with kea-dhcp6.

I'm trying to replace odhcpd, it was my favorite for a while but it's lack of support for options really disappointed me, and I decided to use isc-dhcp, but as I've read in ISC's website it is going to be replaced by kea so why not give it a shot? I installed kea and everything went fine, I learned how to use the config file for dhcp4 and managed to get it working!
My issue is with dhcp6.
My ISP hands out a /56 prefix through dhcpv6 and it changes every 24 hours. Odhcpd somehow changed the advertisements in lan as the prefix was changed in wan but I don't know how to do that in kea-dhcp6.
Any help or tips?

I've seen that @jeff uses kea for the posts where you/he mentions kea. So could you help me?

Thanks!:grin::grin::grin:

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with that among all the challenges that Comcrap presents.

I have thought about it, in case I needed to do something if my lease wasn't stable.

Idea one: Use sed with a template.

Replace the prefix when assigned from the template and install as kea.conf (or whatever config scheme you use).

Idea two: Use the control channel

https://ftp.isc.org/isc/kea/cur/doc/kea-guide.html#ctrl-channel

I haven't looked into this a lot and it has changed over the last couple of years. It doesn't look like you can easily modify leases without rewriting the config.

I looked at using a database, but I couldn't see running MySQL or Postgres to support this alone for a small network.

It may also be possible to do the equivalent through UCI commands -- last I was using kea under OpenWrt there was no UCI integration, but that was a while ago.

One of the primary reasons why odhcpd was written, instead of just using dnsmasq's IPv6 support, was to properly deal with changing dynamic prefixes - something a lot of consumer contracts are plagued with, but which is still utterly ignored by many DHCPv6 dæmons or routing advertisement solutions.

1 Like

Still doesn't have.
Those are good options you provided but they don't seem scalable, and they will give a lot of problems ahahH

Yeah I've been noticing that, but odhcpd has a issue that you can't enable the "other configuration" flag without enabling the internal odhcpd DHCPv6 server, must submit this bug.

I've also submitted a feature request to the kea developers so that kea can adapt to the interfaces configurations.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the 1 month delay :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like