Jellyfin portforwarding

Your config is pretty messed up. It will be easier to reset to defaults and start over.

EDIT: just to be clear why I'm saying that you should reset: the WAN and LAN appear to be bridged together in some strange way, but the bridge is not properly constructed; your firewall isn't doing anything useful since WAN can forward to the LAN and WAN even has the ability to access the router itself, masquerading is enabled on the LAN, and there are probably a dozen other errors that I haven't spotted yet. Currently your router is not even remotely configured properly, and the best option is to simply reset it and start fresh. In all likelihood, you should only be making a few minimal changes to the default configuration... what you've got is a ton of changes that are probably the result of a lot of tinkering and the router just simply isn't going to work properly.

1 Like

Ok, point taken. So what should be the correct setup? Can you please post some tips or config examplea? My PI has 2 network devices, 1 for LAN and 1 for WAN

The default configuration is usually a good starting place. If you need/want to change the LAN subnet, feel free to do that.

Then you'll add simple rules in the firewall: redirect from WAN on the port(s) of interest in the external port field > LAN with a specified internal IP and internal port (often the same as the external port).

You may also want to add a DHCP reservation if the target host is using DHCP (so that it always gets the same IP; if you have set that host to static IP manually on the device itself, you don't need to worry about the DHCP reservation).

Typically that's it.

2 Likes

Thanks! So on the firewall settings do I keep it as is? Default was WAN forward Reject

Yes. Don't touch the standard firewall configuration except to add the redirect.

2 Likes

I have built as a last resort in Digital Ocean OpenVPN server. I have a tunnel established between my Pi with Jellyfin installed and the OpenVPN Digital Ocean server when I do curl ifconfig.me I get the OpenVPN server. So now I have to figure out how to setup portforwarding.

Wait, what?? How did we go from resetting your severely misconfigured router to setting up an OpenVPN server on a VPS?

I have reset it but the result is still the same. Either my ISP changed something between the time I changed from Archer C6 to Raspberry PI OpenWRT or I don't know what else it could be. So as a last resort I want to try VPN tunnel solution. Once I get it working on the router.

You're adding a bunch of additional variables and it is hard to help when there is no consistency from post to post. Even your core config changed drastically between your post 5 days ago and yesterday -- and none of those changes were suggested by the contributors here nor did you mention that you had made them. Now you (probably) reset your router to defaults and added in a VPN configuration. All of this makes it really confusing -- to us and to yourself -- and you're just chasing your tail.

At this point, I have no idea what the current state of your system really is. I'd recommend doing what I suggested (without the VPN) and then posting the results and the config files and then we can dig into what is happening there.

1 Like

Ok, I got rid of OpenVPN, it was running on the server I want to connect to, not on my Pi with OpenWRT and my OpenWRT is literally straight out of the box installation with 2 ports being forwarded. I get nothing when I use my public IP to try to reach PLEX or Jellyfin. My IP on the router is 10.112.101.23/25
so that's CGNAT IP I guess which sucks.

Ok... so if you're behind a carrier NAT, you will indeed need a different solution since port forwarding won't work in this case.

What isn't clear to me is what your "ISP LAN port" is from your earlier post -- if that is a modem+router combo device, you may possibly have a public IP address on the WAN of that unit. And if that is the case, proper configuration of that modem could allow all of this to work.

Otherwise, your options are to ask your ISP about a public IP address (sometimes involving additional cost or a different type of account), or use IPv6 if available from your provider, or go with the VPN option.

2 Likes

ISP LAN port is literally a network cable from fibre optic box outside our flat. Our connection is Fibre, not ADSL etc. So I plug my Pi into the CAT5 socket in the wall to connect to our local ISP in our town.

Ok... so you can't change the configuration of the ONT or whatever other ISP-side infrastructure is involved, so you're looking at the other options... hopefully one of them will get you what you need. But at this point, the problem is not related to OpenWrt.

1 Like

OpenVPN tunnel fixed it. Shame about the setup my ISP is using, no chance of getting IPv6 soon.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.