Issues with NSS acceleration and PPPoE on IPQ6018 - External network timeout under heavy load

Hello OpenWrt Community,

I am experiencing a persistent issue with my OpenWrt router that uses an IPQ6018 CPU. The problem occurs when NSS acceleration is enabled and the router is under heavy internal network load. Here are the details:

System Information:

• CPU: IPQ6018
  • OpenWrt Version: 5.4 and 6.6 (same issue on both versions)
  • NSS Acceleration: Enabled
  • PPPoE Driver: kmod-qca-nss-drv-pppoe

Issue Description:

When my router is under heavy internal network load, the external network becomes unresponsive, and I experience timeouts. However, when I uninstall the kmod-qca-nss-drv-pppoe driver, the issue is resolved, but I lose the benefits of NSS acceleration.

Interestingly, when I use SSR-Plus (ShadowsocksR Plus), I can access websites like YouTube and Google without any issues, even under heavy load. This suggests that the problem might be related to how NSS acceleration interacts with the PPPoE driver under load.

Steps Taken:

1. Checked and Updated Firmware and Drivers:
  • Ensured that all firmware and drivers are up to date.
  1. Adjusted MTU Settings:
  • Set MTU to 1492 for the PPPoE interface.
  1. Tried Different Kernel Versions:
  • Tested on OpenWrt versions 5.4 and 6.6, with the same results.

Questions:

1. Has anyone else encountered similar issues with NSS acceleration and PPPoE on IPQ6018?
  2. Are there any known compatibility issues between NSS acceleration and PPPoE on OpenWrt?
  3. What additional steps can I take to troubleshoot and resolve this issue without losing NSS acceleration?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

It appears you are using firmware that is not from the official OpenWrt project.

When using forks/offshoots/vendor-specific builds that are "based on OpenWrt", there may be many differences compared to the official versions (hosted by OpenWrt.org). Some of these customizations may fundamentally change the way that OpenWrt works. You might need help from people with specific/specialized knowledge about the firmware you are using, so it is possible that advice you get here may not be useful.

You may find that the best options are:

1. Install an official version of OpenWrt, if your device is supported (see https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org).
  2. Ask for help from the maintainer(s) or user community of the specific firmware that you are using.
  3. Provide the source code for the firmware so that users on this forum can understand how your firmware works (OpenWrt forum users are volunteers, so somebody might look at the code if they have time and are interested in your issue).

If you believe that this specific issue is common to generic/official OpenWrt and/or the maintainers of your build have indicated as such, please feel free to clarify.

This topic was automatically closed after 17 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.