Issues creating a kernel patch

Hello,

I'm trying to fix an issue with a LED trigger kernel module and as a result I need to patch a couple things. Following the instructions in https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/build-system/use-patches-with-buildsystem:

make package/linux/{clean,prepare} V=s QUILT=1

At this point I expect the target directory build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ar71xx_generic to be cleared and re-populated with fresh sources, however that is not the case. The files in there remain untouched and contain my previous attempts which I'd like to nuke.

Second, directory build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ar71xx_generic contains a bunch of files and the actual Linux source tree is in a further linux-4.9.190 subdirectory, so the complete path is build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ar71xx_generic/linux-4.9.190. Am I supposed to run the Quilt commands in build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ar71xx_generic or in the linux-4.9.190 subdirectory?

Third, running quilt push -a in build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ar71xx_generic returns a "No patches in series" - is this expected?

Finally, Quilt seems to be broken on my system (macOS Mojave) and does the following:

$ quilt edit drivers/leds/trigger/ledtrig-gpio.c         
stat: cannot read file system information for '%l': No such file or directory
stat: cannot read file system information for '%l': No such file or directory
Failed to back up file linux-4.9.190/drivers/leds/trigger/ledtrig-gpio.c

Does anyone know a workaround, or alternatively, how would I go about replicating Quilt's behaviour manually (I just need to change 2 lines in a file).

Regards.

First step is correct:

make package/linux/{clean,prepare} V=s QUILT=1

Then

cd build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ar71xx_generic/linux-4.9.190

as you see in the manual

cd build_dir/target-*/linux-*/linux-*

Then

quilt push -a

etc.

Thanks for your reply.

Is it normal that the build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ar71xx_generic/linux-4.9.190 directory doesn't get cleared when doing the make... {clean,prepare} command, and if so, what am I supposed to do to clear it and get a fresh copy of the sources?

make dirclean will clean it up.